Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your First Time
1990s, Red Hat Linux - on a Frankensteinian collection of parts that vaguely resembled a computer. I think that it was some flavour of Pentium by that stage. There were RPMs for most of what I wanted to install but it didn't take long before I had to learn to compile packages to get what I wanted and I became familiar with Dependency Hell.

My recent return to Linux was on Debian. .debs instead of RPMs but just as easy - so not much different. A little bit of Dependency Hell because I'm sentimentally attached to XMMS, which hasn't been developed in years.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
1990's, RedHat and Suse5.? I remember buying the retail boxes. Ran it on an AMD x2 4800+ and a Pentium III 1400. Ah, the days of pure PC Power!
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
Wow look at all the old farts like me who got started last century. Big Grin
(08-10-2019, 09:44 PM)Cthulhu Wrote: When did you first install Linux and what distro was it? What were the hardware specs? How different was it than installing today?

To answer these questions I have to say this...I was running Windoze 7...when Windoze 8 came out and I thought it was a joke of some kind...I remember thinking what a piece of crap.  Angry

So I started looking at Linux and tried many Distros in both Virtualbox and live DVDs.  I found Linux Mint was the best but did nothing till evil M$ tried to force me to downgrade to Windoze Spyware 10.  Rolleyes  So I switched to Linux Mint full-time just over three years ago and have never looked back.  Big Grin 

Hardware Specs on the Tower (6yrs old) are the same now...64bit...i5 CPU...16GB of DDR3 Ram and a 500GB Mechanical HDD that was replaced only recently with a 500GB SSD.  As for installing Linux Mint...it's easy a blind man could do it. :Big Grin   [Image: t2010.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]