Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EvilGnome Malware Spying Alert
Exclamation 
EvilGnome: Malware Spying on Linux Desktop Users

If you are running a gnome3 based distro you may want to read this article. Apparently, a Russian malware attack is appearing in some gnome shell extensions.   Always take care and only install software from trusted sources like the official repositories.   One of the reason Windows is so malware prone, because so many ignorant users will install software from the the web without considering the security risk.  

Prevention and Response

We recommend to Linux users who want to check whether they are infected to check the “~/.cache/gnome-software/gnome-shell-extensions” directory for the “gnome-shell-ext” executable. 

https://www.intezer.com/blog-evilgnome-r...top-users/
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Here is a Sophos article on EvilGnome that is in a little more plain English:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/07...r-servers/
Sometimes, I feel like attempting to discuss Linux security risks is like performing:

cat security_risk.txt > /dev/null
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

For what it's worth, I appreciate the information.  I hope this latest attempt will keep the Linux community from being too complacent when it comes to security and best practices — even if it sometimes feels like whack-a-mole.
There is plenty of malware for Linux, however it rarely is drive by download type malware.

I don't care what OS is deployed as one must always becareful when installing or running software on a system.

The good news is Linux still isn't widely hacked by just surfing the web.  So there is that.  I also agree we still need to be on the lookout as Linux isn't foolproof.  No one should ever believe any solution is 100% foolproof.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

Tools: GitHubCYA, Connect2SSH, Pdisks

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Servers (headless): CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian SPARC
how do you spell PPA?

social engineering overcomes all