Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
uninstall to reinstall question
Been using computers since the Radio Shack Tandy TRS 80 days. I have installed Linux Mint 19.1 and really like what I have seen so far but am very new to this system having used windows for years.

I would like to uninstall mint 19.1 and reinstall it with better partitioning schemes. Can I just delete the linux partitions and reinstall from the USB without having to redo the MBR? Just leaving the GRUB in place?

Thanks

(07-27-2019, 03:34 PM)GreenMtns Wrote: Been using computers since the Radio Shack Tandy TRS 80 days. I have installed Linux Mint 19.1 and really like what I have seen so far but am very new to this system having used windows for years.

I would like to uninstall mint 19.1 and reinstall it with better partitioning schemes. Can I just delete from the (Windows Disk Management) linux partitions and reinstall from the USB without having to redo the MBR? Just leaving the GRUB in place?

Thanks

And to answer your question....I know just enough to get in trouble but not enough to get out.

Al
Yes.
No need to create a new partition table.

Please, don't use Windows for this task. Only use Windows to shrink windows.

Use Gparted, it is included on the install USB/DVD.
It is a simple graphic partitioning tool.
Delete and create as you wish.
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html

When you install your new system Grub will be installed again in your MBR again, and will updated with the systems it finds.
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html#updates
If I am understanding you correctly, you have Linux Mint installed on your device, but want to reinstall it because you'd like to have a different partion layout.

First of all, you do not have to delete the Linux partitions before the installation. Why? Simple: Unlike the Windows installer, all Linux installers are perfectly capable of (re)partitioning drives. So you can layout your partitions directly and comfortably in the installer.

And yes, you can of course keep the existing MBR. You can also choose to not (re-)install GRUB, however this will keep not just your current installation of GRUB but also your current GRUB configuration, which might point to the wrong partitions. So I recommend you simply reinstall GRUB, as changing GRUBs configuration can be pretty annoying even for experienced users (which is why I am using the SYSLINUX bootloader instead).

And as mexsudo said, don't do any partitioning with windows. Windows partitioning software is a bad joke: Basically utterly incapable of doing anything but the most simple tasks.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard