Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browsers--Chrome or Chromium?
I have discovered something that may be of interest. I have found that Chrome uses a higher cpu percentage as measured by conky than Chromium. My question is what is it in Chrome that uses so much of the cpu? And why does Amazon Prime refuse to allow me to use Chromium when I watch a movie, I paid for the movie so the choice of the browser should be mine! I think Google is putting something nasty in Chrome to monitor Chrome users. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Could very well be that Google is up to something. Personally I like Firefox.
Hello,

About the movie, is just a mater of plug in. Amazone prime (among many others) use some piece of software to protect theirs material from been copy. Chrome has this plug in installed out of the box. It is not in chromium.

This is one of the reasons i use chromium as my daily broswer but i use chrome if i need to watch some of this copyright protected material.

About the CPU usage, i don't know. But if i have to guess, i would say it is maybe something about telemetry? question mark.
(07-26-2019, 03:47 PM)TNFrank Wrote: Could very well be that Google is up to something. Personally I like Firefox.

I like Chrome and Chromium because I use the Volume Master app. I checked out Firefox and they require that we use another device as well as the computer before the sync will work. Thats ridiculous and none of their business what other devices I use. Lately all of these tech companies are going crazy, Micro$oft wants to control everyones computers, Google wants to spy on everyone, Amazon and Firefox want to boss everyone around.
Cliqz, very private, has instant youtube download feather , plus duckduckgo for search, no wonder Mozilla named worst info selling program.
(07-26-2019, 09:10 PM)Geodude Wrote: Cliqz, very private, has instant youtube download feather , plus duckduckgo for search, no wonder Mozilla named worst info selling program.

I tried to download this. Went to website and ran the commands in the terminal. I am not very good at this sort of thing since I normally just use the graphic interface. I got an error message about unmet dependencies so it didn't work. Anyway, does Cliqz have the Chrome apps? I need the Volume Master app because I have hearing problems so I am tied to Chrome and Chromium.
Another good option is the Otter browser. They took the old Opera, from before Opera sold its soul to the devil and re-built itself based on Google Chrome*, and developed Otter, a web browser that doesn't phone home. The only repository that has a package available is Arch. Last time I looked, the Ubuntu repository did not offer a deb package. You have to compile your own from source. I think it's worth the effort involved.

*Those who have read some of my posts here have picked up on that I am anti-Microsoft, anti-Facebook, and rabidly anti-Google. Over the years I have been careful enough on the Internet to the extent that when I enter my name in the search engines, they can't find a trace of me. I plan to keep it that way.

Richard
I know this has already been said, but I thought I'd say it anyway lol. Chromium doesn't include certain codecs. I use Chrome, but I'm trying to ween myself off of it now. The hardest part about getting off of Chrome and onto something else, is my passwords. I tried to import them to Firefox previously, but it no where near included all of my passwords. Now, I guess I am going to write them all down, and then re-enter them into whatever new browser I choose
[Image: IplgSBz.png]
(07-26-2019, 11:47 PM)Richard Wrote: Another good option is the Otter browser. They took the old Opera, from before Opera sold its soul to the devil and re-built itself based on Google Chrome*, and developed Otter, a web browser that doesn't phone home. The only repository that has a package available is Arch. Last time I looked, the Ubuntu repository did not offer a deb package. You have to compile your own from source. I think it's worth the effort involved.

*Those who have read some of my posts here have picked up on that I am anti-Microsoft, anti-Facebook, and rabidly anti-Google. Over the years I have been careful enough on the Internet to the extent that when I enter my name in the search engines, they can't find a trace of me. I plan to keep it that way.

Richard

(07-27-2019, 04:40 AM)frank124c@gmail.com Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 11:47 PM)Richard Wrote: Another good option is the Otter browser. They took the old Opera, from before Opera sold its soul to the devil and re-built itself based on Google Chrome*, and developed Otter, a web browser that doesn't phone home. The only repository that has a package available is Arch. Last time I looked, the Ubuntu repository did not offer a deb package. You have to compile your own from source. I think it's worth the effort involved.

Richard

Thanx 4 ur reply. I haven't the least idea how to compile anything. 
(07-26-2019, 10:57 PM)frank124c@gmail.com Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 09:10 PM)Geodude Wrote: Cliqz, very private, has instant youtube download feather , plus duckduckgo for search, no wonder Mozilla named worst info selling program.

I tried to download this. Went to website and ran the commands in the terminal. I am not very good at this sort of thing since I normally just use the graphic interface. I got an error message about unmet dependencies so it didn't work. Anyway, does Cliqz have the Chrome apps? I need the Volume Master app because I have hearing problems so I am tied to Chrome and Chromium.

Frank I don't know if you are aware but in the LinuxMint Mate and I'm guessing the others as well if you right click on the volume icon in the bar at the bottom of the desktop and click on sound preferences you can actually set the volume all the way up to 150% which makes hard of hearing a bit easier and depending on how bad it is you may be able to not need to use the volume master app at all. (and the volume is up for everything not just your browser)