Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello All!
I thought that I would go ahead and introduce myself, since I'm brand new to this BB. 

I go by the name dps, and I'm a proud member of the Free Software Foundation, and an advocate for all that is freedom and for those that can't stand up for themselves.
I haven't been using GNU/Linux for that long, just a few months. I come from a very long line of Windont users, and had considered myself a Power User of sorts within that ecosystem. I started to use GNU/Linux, when I was looking for a solution to get a laptop of mine (Dell inspiron 5559, core i5, 8gb of memory) to run from usb, because the internal sata connector was broken. 

Even though I had considered myself an avid user and possibly even a Power User (I knew the in's and out's of the system, and that is where I learned to OverClock), I found it highly difficult to get my system running from USB, using the Windont operating system. So I found Linux Mint, and upon using it for a while as a secondary OS... I fell in love with it!
    From the way it handled system resources, the simplistic approach to the way the file system is, to the amazing and beautiful story behind GNU/Linux... I found myself hooked. It honestly has become my life, which is weird, because I'm normally a person who demands the latest and greatest hardware, but with GNU/Linux, I've found myself using (on a daily basis) older rigs of mine, like this HP TouchSmart iq506, and my old Pentium 4 and Pentium D rigs! 

I currently run Xubuntu, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Server, Linux Mint and Lubuntu on the various rigs that I have around my house, but I'm ALWAYS open to different things. 

Well,  I guess that about sums it up! If anyone here would like to discuss anything or needs any help with anything, do not hesitate to get ahold of me or tag in some way! I'm currently focusing my work on the networking aspect of the GNU/Linux ecosystem ( I just went and picked up 5 routers from goodwill, and had a few laying around myself already), and am realllllly getting into the cloud and things like that. I am also a daily tinkerer, as in Arduino and ARM stuff ( like tablets and microcontrollers and things like that), so I'm always down to discuss things of that nature!

Kind regards,
            dps

EDIT!: I forgot to mention that, I've pretty much been alone in this journey so far, because of the toxicity I was met with when I first started asking questions. I had no idea that the community was so hardcore on not asking questions, and I had no idea that "we hate you and will throw stones at you" if you aren't able to find the answer yourself, even if you're new, was something I would be dealing with. But, lo and behold I am here Smile, and still loving it.
[Image: IplgSBz.png]
Welcome to community.

It is unfortunate you faced some backlash.  That can happen in some circles of Linux.  However there are places, like this one, that don't follow that philosophy.  We were all newbies at some point and still are as no one knows it all.  Technology changes rapidly and so learning is a constant.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(07-23-2019, 08:02 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Welcome to community.

It is unfortunate you faced some backlash.  That can happen in some circles of Linux.  However there are places, like this one, that don't follow that philosophy.  We were all newbies at some point and still are as no one knows it all.  Technology changes rapidly and so learning is a constant.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to be here, that's for sure! Yeah, it was a bummer at first, but there's way too much interesting and awesome and just flat out mesmerizing stuff here to let it get to me. I find it funny how addicted I've become to all of this.
   Again, thanks for the welcome!
[Image: IplgSBz.png]
Welcome!

There is a kind and very knowledgeable community here.
(07-23-2019, 06:31 PM)dps Wrote: I thought that I would go ahead and introduce myself, since I'm brand new to this BB.

Welcome!

(07-23-2019, 06:31 PM)dps Wrote: I had no idea that the community was so hardcore on not asking questions,

That really depends what you are asking and where you are asking. A lot of questions typically asked by new users can be answered by a 1 minute online search and a lot of (often unrelated) groups are absolutely flooded with such questions. That does of course not justify offensive and toxic behaviour, but the "anger" of some mean responders definitely does not come out of nowhere. Also often problematic is how someones asks: Nobody can help you if all the information provided is "this does not work".

To get good and friendly answers, I recommend these simple steps:
  • Restart and see if the problem is still around.
  • Spend at least 5 minutes to search for that problem online. If this does not provide a solution, it may help you to narrow down what the problem might be.
  • If you know how to read the documention, read at least its table of contents to find out if it might be helpful.
  • Research where you could best ask for help. Good places are groups dedicated for new users, like this forum as an example. Avoid things like development-mailinglists of the project / application, as these usualy focus on just the code and ignore everything unrelated. Also avoid (UNIX-)Hacker groups, like suckless, 9fans and others, as these also don't focus on fixing peoples problems.
  • If you ask your question, provide as much information as possible. This includes things like version of the application, version of the kernel, what you were doing, what you expected to happen, what did happen instead and also what task you are trying to accomplish.

If you do follow this rough guideline, you will most likely find people willing to help you.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Welcome, dps.

Sorry to hear you didn't have a particularly friendly welcome in some quarters.  Unfortunately, there are always some people like that in all areas of interest, glad it didn't put you off persevering and that you persisted with Linux and came to this community.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
Welcome DPS,

i like a lot the almost coincidence aspect of your entry in the linux world. If it wasn't for a broken sata connector... Smile
So welcome into the community.