Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wifi doesnt work after installing mint 19.1
Hello everyone i am new to linux mint 19 but not 17. I installed mint from a cd i got off of the linux mint site. This was really hard. My connection to the internet was fine, I COULDNT UPDATE ANYTHING it just wouldnt except an ethernet or wireless connection. Would someone help i have a cheap hp computer called scarlet
Hey Starr
Can you not connect to wifi and use it, or are you only having issues with updating?
(07-23-2019, 03:31 AM)p-murphy Wrote: Hey Starr
Can you not connect to wifi and use it, or are you only having issues with updating?

it wont let me use it at all i am really confused i thought maybe i should reinstall but i am not sure how.
(07-24-2019, 02:56 AM)starr Wrote:

it wont let me use it at all i am really confused i thought maybe i should reinstall but i am not sure how.

Have you tried installing drivers?
Go the the driver manager and it will tell if you have any drivers you need to install. They can be installed from there.
(07-24-2019, 03:56 AM)p-murphy Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 02:56 AM)starr Wrote:

Have you tried installing drivers?
Go the the driver manager and it will tell if you have any drivers you need to install. They can be installed from there.
I thought i had to be online to download the drivers and i was blocked the whole way from accessing the internet during the installation. i had excellent signal and that didnt work. i even tryed hardwiring it with a ethernet cable and it rejected that too.
You don't have to be online to install drivers. Just insert the media you used to install Linux Mint and it will install the drivers from there.

What is it saying when you try to connect to the internet?
What worked for me is to upgrade the kernel to a non LTS version (5.0) cause Realtek Driver support is spotty in Linux (for the older kernels) but since you're having issues with connectivity.... did you try the Network Connections Menu?