Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is this? and what does it mean?
Final fix method : start again from bootable USB. Not what we were hoping for, but it seemed I was creating problems along the way, even as I attempted to follow advice. Next time, do Fsck on all my drives as a precaution.

I previously  ran linux mint largely  without incident,  or that I can remember on my Desktop which is showing this image.  Assuming i can upload or link a photo.  text first, now video should  be attached http://imgur.com/a/jjBXD5q

I few times I have seen a screen like this in both higher resolution  & with the mint logo on shutdown.

Recently I had no internet  & the higher resolution screen displayed & had seemed to have locked in that state.  so I turned it off.

I got put into initramifs & followed a basic instruction on exit, fsck & reeboot, which leads me to abovementioned video.

While I have the internet connected to my address again, I have not connected the Almond Router that is used as a glorified WiFi receiver, to my Desktop.

I wonder if not having the internet available interfeared with the original shutdown.
(07-20-2019, 02:09 AM)ihavenointernetandimustscream Wrote: text first, now video should  be attached http://imgur.com/a/jjBXD5q

Maybe it's just me, but your image (/video) does not load on imgur.

(07-20-2019, 02:09 AM)ihavenointernetandimustscream Wrote: I wonder if not having the internet available interfeared with the original shutdown.

It shouldn't, but I have experienced myself that NetworkManager in combination with the ath10k driver for certain wireless cards can be a bit weird. However at most it can hold the shutdown process, usually with a message kinda like "user process c1 did not stop". There should be no lasting effects.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(07-20-2019, 02:22 AM)leon.p Wrote:
(07-20-2019, 02:09 AM)ihavenointernetandimustscream Wrote: text first, now video should  be attached http://imgur.com/a/jjBXD5q

Maybe it's just me, but your image (/video) does not load on imagur

I have set it to public.  maybe u will see it now.

Your other stuff is part of the puzzle, thanks.  turning off mid shut down was the first time it produced a restart into initramifs.

Before I read your reply, I hooked up the above almond router.
(07-20-2019, 02:59 AM)ihavenointernetandimustscream Wrote: I have set it to public.  maybe u will see it now.

No, sadly not. Maybe you can add the picture as an attachment to your post; That will be easier.

This forum won't allow me.  Even a jpg.

I will describe it for YOU

"Linux Mint 19.1"

(Four blocks below that changing from white to green & back again in sequence)

When the last block on the right changes colour, the first block changes colour.

there is no Linux Mint logo like other times, this one is like a basic, no frills version of what I normally get now & then when shutting down.

I also uploaded a vid to YouTube: (just trying to link it, I'm working from my tablet) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-ECGgBg9...e=youtu.be

So my guess is, part of the code is damaged in some way, but I don't  even know what I'm looking at
(07-20-2019, 05:59 AM)ihavenointernetandimustscream Wrote: I also uploaded a vid to YouTube: (just trying to link it, I'm working from my tablet)   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yi-ECGgBg9...e=youtu.be

That works!

(07-20-2019, 05:59 AM)ihavenointernetandimustscream Wrote: So my guess is, part of the code is damaged in some way, but I don't  even know what I'm looking at

Unlikely. What you are looking at is simply a different plymouth splash screen.

If your computer works fine otherwise, there should be no problem.

Quote:I got put into initramifs & followed a basic instruction on exit, fsck & reeboot, which leads me to abovementioned video.
Sometimes the file system gets a little confused when you lose power or a hard boot is done without a proper shutdown and you get sent to the above with the instruction you got. Does not happen often or a lot but it can happen.
What happens, one of the file journals gets stuck and needs fixed.... To fix this issue the next time you are at the above prompt try this...
Code:
fsck /dev/sda

Then press enter key... That is if you only have one hard drive. If you have 2 or 3 drives, you will have to read the text on the screen backup to the top and see if it says what drive is a issue ( sda, sdb, sdc )...

Just change "/dev/sdxxx" for whatever drive i showing the error. Most of the time I just do them all...

Also at the above prompt you can type this to see what drives you have if you don't know...
Code:
lsblk
Then press enter and you will get a tree listing of your installed drives and there partitions (sda or sdb being the drives) and (sda1, sdxx, sdxx being the partitions), the XX is the drive # or partition # depending on your installation and Distro....

Code:
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb      8:16   0 931.5G  0 disk
└─sdb1   8:17   0 931.5G  0 part /vm-data-1
sr0     11:0    1  1024M  0 rom  
sdc      8:32   0   1.8T  0 disk
├─sdc2   8:34   0   1.8T  0 part /
├─sdc3   8:35   0  15.9G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sdc1   8:33   0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
└─sda1   8:1    0 465.8G  0 part /vm-data
As you can see my Box has 3 hard drives with all the partitions...

I have a Dell laptop that gets confused after shutting down sometimes and this is how I fix it and it boots right up ok for a long time, until the next OOps... It has something to do with the laptop because it has done it no matter what Distro I have on it...
Go figure!  Huh

You can just hit the "Esc Key" as stated in the other post when booting the computer and you can see all the test go by as the boot process happens. The "Splash" screen just hides the text as it goes by and you get to watch the little DOT's flicker..... Lol

I like to watch the text (I'm Old School Sysop) so I remove the splash screen from the startup command line in the grub menu...  Smile

I hope this helps.....
LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
Thanks bescott9944, every bit of informed insight helps, even if it's not immediately producing results.

So more or less I previously got as far as Fsck for SDA, but not for my other drives.

I have uploaded 2 more vids to the first one.  The final one has the best commentary I'm able at this time.  I'm working from a Tablet.

I got a Recovery Menu, instead of Initramifs for some reason.  It gave me options to Enable Networking & Restore Packages, so I did that.

I would be 100% fine with reinstalling from scratch, but for some reason, none of my bootable Linux USBs are working & I have prioritised the USB drives over others.  I can do an isolation test, but it seems various warm & cold boots mid process is what largely started my problems.

My desktop is convenient, yet not immediately essential.  I'm willing to start from scratch when people suggest it of me.

Currently I have "Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130ubuntu3.8) ...
Update-initramifs: Generating /boot/invited.img-4.15.0-54-generic"

Based on the following line, I think that process worked,

"Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.27-3ubuntu1) ..." & it's been like this for around an hour.

Having noticed the above advice of hitting ESC, I tried that & was returned to the Recovery Menu.

Whilst it looked like everything was fine After a second run at restoring packages, when I took the option of continuing the boot sequence I get :

"Failed to start default.target: Unit multi-user.target not found".  This multi user target thing rings a bell, but it was kinda buried in other information I was getting.   I think I documented this on my YouTube channel though.  I'm following up this aspect now.

I'm nervous about using other people's time.  thank you for your help thus far. As one of the menus now says Ubuntu instead of Linux Mint, it looks like I need to start again from a bootable USB. I will get help from someone in headspace as none of my distro USBs seem to be working since that initial Cold Boot.

I can Boot from USB!!!!! I'm saved

THANYOU ALL, I still learned stuff.