Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update initramfs. so many. take so long...why?
Greetings,

Curious:  When updating LM 19, my Update Manager will get to the part were, when its time to do so, it will update initramfs.  Please see the attached photo.

There is a long list and it takes a long time to update all these.  Is the system trying to update this for every kernel I've ever had?  What is this file anyway?

Thank you so much for all your help,

-Steve

Attached Files
.png   Update Manager.png (Size: 7.85 KB / Downloads: 12)
That file is an important part of the boot process. It is loaded into the memory to provide the kernel with core utilities and other helpful programs before the actual root partition is mounted. Most importantly it contains the (first stage of the) init-system and also sometimes 'dmcrypt' and 'lvm' tools, depending on your setup. Also often included is a busybox emergency shell that will be loaded if the boot process fails at this stage.

The initramfs will be updated for every kernel that is installed on your device, because otherwise that kernel simply can not be used.

Updating it takes a long time, because the process will put a lot of different files together and compress them into a RAM-disk-image. If it takes to long for you, try removing some older kernels.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(07-20-2019, 02:16 AM)leon.p Wrote: That file is an important part of the boot process. It is loaded into the memory to provide the kernel with core utilities and other helpful programs before the actual root partition is mounted. Most importantly it contains the (first stage of the) init-system and also sometimes 'dmcrypt' and 'lvm' tools, depending on your setup. Also often included is a busybox emergency shell that will be loaded if the boot process fails at this stage.

The initramfs will be updated for every kernel that is installed on your device, because otherwise that kernel simply can not be used.

Updating it takes a long time, because the process will put a lot of different files together and compress them into a RAM-disk-image. If it takes to long for you, try removing some older kernels.

Hi leon.p

Thank you so much for explaining this.  Yes, I have every kernel since I started with LM.  How many old kernels should one keep and when to delete some of them?

Thank you again,
-Steve
I keep 3 kernel myself besides the new one.
I have the current one, Let say one that is 2 or 3 versions older and lets say, the 6th older that is a known good working one..
That way if you ever have a booting issue you have some to fallback on when booting from the Grub Menu....

A thing to also remember is, all the kernel's take up lots of space so the more you keep the more space that is used...

Everyone has there way to do that this is what I do...

Check out these links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFfC2tHMtXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IW77QgTS6c
Joe does a good job explaining the Kernel stuff.
LLAP
-Bruce
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
(07-20-2019, 05:49 AM)bescott9944 Wrote: I keep 3 kernel myself besides the new one.
I have the current one, Let say one that is 2 or 3 versions older and lets say, the 6th older that is a known good working one..
That way if you ever have a booting issue you have some to fallback on when booting from the Grub Menu....

A thing to also remember is, all the kernel's take up lots of space so the more you keep the more space that is used...

Everyone has there way to do that this is what I do...

Check out these links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFfC2tHMtXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IW77QgTS6c
Joe does a good job explaining the Kernel stuff.
LLAP
-Bruce
Bruce,

Thank you so much for sharing how you handle this.  Keeping the last few and one way back seems like a very good thing to do.  I have much cleaning to do.  I was scarred at first to deal with this.  I'm encouraged now.  HAHAH.

Thank you for the links too. 
-Steve