Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Install MySQL on Debian 10 Buster?
So I decided to try out Debian 10, switching from Ubuntu 18.04 on real machine (not vm).   Everything has gone well except installing/running MySQL 8.  The MySQL website states support for Debian 8, 9 but not 10.  So I figured I would try install Deb 9 version.   Seemed to install ok but service won't run.  So I guess that didn't work.

Any hope of getting this to work?  Or, do I need to use a Timeshift snapshot to revert back to Ubuntu (would be so sad)?   Will restoring from TS snapshot work if I made changes to partitions on installing Debian?
Hello,

excuse me if i say something you already tried, but have you check the systemctl status for mysql?

If the solution is something else, i am sorry that will be over my limits.
(07-14-2019, 05:29 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: Hello,

excuse me if i say something you already tried, but have you check the systemctl status for mysql?

If the solution is something else, i am sorry that will be over my limits.

I had.   Pasted below was the result.  Just for the heck of it I have also posted the installed packages related to MySQL.
I may actually try uninstalling all the MySQL stuff (again) and try out MariaDB.   My web host uses MySQL (or MS SQL SERVER) but looks like the tables might be compatible between MariaDB and MySQL.

Code:
me@my-pc:~$ systemctl status mysql.service
● mysql.service - MySQL Community Server
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mysql.service; bad; v
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2019-07-13 1
     Docs: man:mysqld(8)
           http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/en/using-systemd.
  Process: 19710 ExecStartPre=/usr/share/mysql-8.0/mysql-sys
  Process: 19769 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/mysqld (code=exited, st
 Main PID: 19769 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Error: 2 (No such file or directory)
lines 1-10/10 (END)

installed
akonadi-backend-mysql/stable,stable,stable,now 4:18.08.3-5 all [installed,automatic]
libdbd-mysql-perl/stable,stable,stable,now 4.050-2 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]
libqt4-sql-mysql/stable,stable,stable,now 4:4.8.7+dfsg-18 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libqt5sql5-mysql/stable,stable,stable,now 5.11.3+dfsg1-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mysql-apt-config/unknown,now 0.8.13-1 all [installed]
mysql-client/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed]
mysql-common/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mysql-community-client-core/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed]
mysql-community-client/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed]
mysql-community-server-core/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed]
mysql-community-server/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed,automatic]
mysql-server/unknown,now 8.0.16-2debian9 amd64 [installed]
php-mysql/stable,stable,stable,now 2:7.3+69 all [installed]
php7.3-mysql/stable,stable,stable,now 7.3.4-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
I have now installed MariaDB, and got phpMyAdmin working.  Getting phpMyAdmin working was a lot of messing around with user and privileges.. wasn't easy and if I had to do that again I would never remember all the steps.  But it works now.

So hopefully I can work between MariaDB on my local machine and MySQL on my web host.  Looks like it should work fine, as I don't do anything super complicated there.

The main downside here is that I much preferred working in the UI of Workbench then that of phpMyAdmin.   But, I have MySQL and Workbench installed on my Mint laptop, so I can use that for working on the remote MySQL db.
MariaDB is better than vanilla MySQL and is a drop in replacement that works for 99.9%+ of MySQL workloads.

Percona is better than both of those.  This forum was built for MySQL but runs on Percona Server.

My guess is there is some odd library issue going on with Debian 10.x.  In general for servers it is best to wait a bit for the supporting software to catch up after a new OS release..  As for the differences in vanilla MySQL on the host and MariaDB on your side you will be fine.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer