Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft putting patent traps inside Linux?
Question 
You might find this article interesting concerning Micr$oft patent tactics.

Microsoft Putting Patent Traps Inside Linux While Blackmailing Companies Using Patents Associated With These Traps
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

I've read it twice and come to the conclusion that if one removes the journalistic waffle and the vague insinuations, there are no hard facts. He talked a lot but said nothing.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
(07-13-2019, 11:12 AM)cliffcoggin Wrote: I've read it twice and come to the conclusion that if one removes the journalistic waffle and the vague insinuations, there are no hard facts. He talked a lot but said nothing.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that see it that way... 

Do I trust MS? "Not on your Life!!!"

MS didn't buy a chair on the Foundation for shits and giggles!

MS is so two faced, they are in the dictionary under "two face - see Microsoft" lol
LLAP
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
(07-13-2019, 11:12 AM)cliffcoggin Wrote: I've read it twice and come to the conclusion that if one removes the journalistic waffle and the vague insinuations, there are no hard facts. He talked a lot but said nothing.

I'm glad to see you say that. I couldn't make sense of what this guy was trying to say.

Btw, what is a patent trap.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(07-13-2019, 03:39 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote:

I'm glad to see you say that. I couldn't make sense of what this guy was trying to say.

Btw, what is a patent trap.

It's when they add something to said program, or in this case the linux kernel that will irrevocably change it for the better, then they go and patent that implementation. And will then proceed to sue the crap out of anyone using said code in their code. Microsoft has done this many times. I wish I could find the sources I read these about. But they're so old that I can't find them on the net anymore.
One must keep in mind that MS joined the Open Invention Network.  Thus allowing legal usage for fellow members.

While that doesn't mean every patent owned by MS is fair usage it still means 60K+ are and many were/are exFAT based.  Ubuntu and Red Hat and others are members.  So while nothing is foolproof this makes it much harder for MS to sue.

Also one must keep in mind MS is making a lot of money off Linux.  Azure and Linux are very popular.  MS would upset their own apple cart to start attacking Linux legally.

This article is trying to make it sound like the sky is falling.  Blah blah blah.  Clickbait.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
As a long ago programmer i can tell you that is standard procedure for Microsoft or IBM is even worse, MS didn't spend 7.5 billion without a complete survey and plan for their own takeover of the Linux system slowly shutting down many operation systems till they control the very few still remaining majority and suing the remaining threats. of course Anything can be purchased with enough money and the slightest hint of greed is in someones soul. MS will continue buying surrounding bases that support Linux till all bases supporting Linux belongs to MS. Debate and argue all you like it will come to pass. (keep counting of the supports MS buys, ) Confused