Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 18.04 trips off randomly when power hits 40 - 50%
Exclamation 
Hey guys i use ubuntu 18.04 and my pc randomly trips off without any warning recently usually when the power is between 40 - 50%
i have tried editing the power settings but still got nothing, laptop is not overheating  the temperature is ok, i attached a pic of my power settings below. please i need to fix this urgently as it messes up my work. any help would be appreciated .

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot from 2019-07-10 10-32-45.png (Size: 95.39 KB / Downloads: 12)
.png   Screenshot from 2019-07-10 10-32-55.png (Size: 101.68 KB / Downloads: 6)
.png   Screenshot from 2019-07-10 10-33-19.png (Size: 102.97 KB / Downloads: 5)
Maybe your battery simply is bad, lasting not as long and / or reporting a wrong capacity.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(07-10-2019, 11:19 AM)leon.p Wrote: Maybe your battery simply is bad, lasting not as long and / or reporting a wrong capacity.

yeah i thought about that too, but if it is reporting the wrong capacity can it be fixed?
(07-10-2019, 01:06 PM)Norman Wrote: yeah i thought about that too, but if it is reporting the wrong capacity can it be fixed?

Fixing a bad battery is not really possible.

Your best option is to find a replacement battery. For some battery designs you can also open the case and replace the cells, but that is only a viable option if you know what you are doing.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
My Dell laptop battery has a little button that you can push and it lights up little led's that show the charge, and does not always correspond to what Mint 18.3 says that is left some times.

As far as a bad battery, that is my guess too... The laptop batteries have a little chip on the charging board that will start so shut down the battery after so many charges/hours or if one battery is getting weaker that the others it shuts down the computer no matter what is reported by Mint that is left.
But after so many charges/hours the chip just stops the battery from working regardless of the condition of the batteries in the pack. This is set by the manufacturer of the laptop and battery maker. 

I have pulled apart the battery pack and tested the batteries and they are fine, just the chip says "Nope" you don't work anymore.  Sad

Lipo batteries are not like regular household batteries and the "regular everyday person" should not mess with them... Just a warning!!!
Lipo batteries are funny that way, there are only as strong as the weakest battery, so I guess the chip senses this and it stops the pack from working so not to damaging anything it just shouts down the pack...

I use the good batteries for projects, so buying a new laptop battery is a win for me...Lol
Take care!
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
(07-11-2019, 02:37 AM)bescott9944 Wrote: My Dell laptop battery has a little button that you can push and it lights up little led's that show the charge, and does not always correspond to what Mint 18.3 says that is left some times.

As far as a bad battery, that is my guess too... The laptop batteries have a little chip on the charging board that will start so shut down the battery after so many charges/hours or if one battery is getting weaker that the others it shuts down the computer no matter what is reported by Mint that is left.
But after so many charges/hours the chip just stops the battery from working regardless of the condition of the batteries in the pack. This is set by the manufacturer of the laptop and battery maker. 

I have pulled apart the battery pack and tested the batteries and they are fine, just the chip says "Nope" you don't work anymore.  Sad

Lipo batteries are not like regular household batteries and the "regular everyday person" should not mess with them... Just a warning!!!
Lipo batteries are funny that way, there are only as strong as the weakest battery, so I guess the chip senses this and it stops the pack from working so not to damaging anything it just shouts down the pack...

I use the good batteries for projects, so buying a new laptop battery is a win for me...Lol
Take care!
 thanks a lot man i guess am going for a new battery  Sad
Quote:Norman
 thanks a lot man i guess am going for a new battery  [Image: sad.png]

Whats $20 buck between a man and his laptop... Lol
According to the radio adds, eBay always has it!    Big Grin

Good Luck!
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.