Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a live USB with Mint installed on HDD
I have set up the BIOS on my system so that the first item to boot will be from the live USB. Instead of booting my live USB my system proceeds to boot the linux mint installed on my hard disk drive. I think an update might have changed how my system boots and it ignores the bios boot order for some reason and continues to boot to the hard drive instead of the USB. Hence I have lost my ability to boot from a live USB. My question is: How can I get back the capability to boot from my USB? Strange thing is that the only thing I can boot from USB is Tails and nothing else.
1) Have you booted from that USB stick before?  I am wondering if that is marked as bootable.

2) Are you sure that stick still works?  USB sticks are well known to just quit working.

3) Try creating another USB stick with a clean image.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(07-08-2019, 02:47 PM)cleverwise Wrote: 1) Have you booted from that USB stick before?  I am wondering if that is marked as bootable.

2) Are you sure that stick still works?  USB sticks are well known to just quit working.

3) Try creating another USB stick with a clean image.

I tried formatting my tails usb and installing a different linux distro onto that stick and it works. So with your help I can now say my problem has something to do with the other usb sticks which I am using not working properly.

One of the usb sticks was brand new and the other usb stick which does not work as well, is somewhat older.

I have some further questions about USB sticks. Is it possible to repair sticks that for some reason are not bootable or to mark them as bootable? I am still able to write to those USB sticks. Is it just my bad luck that Im getting these bad sticks that are not bootable?

For now I guess I will have to treat my one and only working bootable USB stick with tender loving care.

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.
Well many things could be going on.

For example a bad download.  It can happen.  You mentioned using another distro that worked, so that is one possibility.

The ISO really should mark the stick bootable for Linux distro installation media.  What program are you using to write out to USB sticks?

There are various ways to mark a drive bootable.  One method is with the gparted program.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer