Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Mint ? Or something Else ?
What he said. Smile
Linux registered user #454271
After you do pick a Distro and get it set up go a head and install Virtualbox so you can boot to .iso's and give em' a look without having to burn them to a usb to boot to or install them. That way you can satisfy your curiosity about a given Distro with the least amount of fuss and muss. I wish I'd have learned about VB earlier on in my Linux Journey, I'd have not wasted so much time burning .iso's to usb sticks, LOL
(07-21-2019, 04:51 AM)TNFrank Wrote: After you do pick a Distro and get it set up go a head and install Virtualbox so you can boot to .iso's and give em' a look without having to burn them to a usb to boot to or install them. That way you can satisfy your curiosity about a given Distro with the least amount of fuss and muss.  I wish I'd have learned about VB earlier on in my Linux Journey, I'd have not wasted so much time burning .iso's to usb sticks, LOL

Yeah, really good point.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
I can suggest for you to install any of this, and after the crossword solver sip calculator install just install the other one. Yes it is possible to boot in your linux distro and have on tour login screen the choice between several desktop environments. Yes linux is that free Smile
Hi Scort, welcome to the group.

Like you, I'm also a newbie to Linux, having only discovered it in May of this year. From personal experience this far into my journey, I would strongly recommend trying Linux Mint Cinnamon edition (I'm currently using 19.2).

Although, like so many others, thoroughly disillusioned with Windows, I found it to be the distro that could be structured to most resemble Windows ... thus making the transition a little easier.

Best of luck with your efforts .....  Smile Smile
Live as if you were die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever.

Mahatma Gandhi .....
When I move someone to linux I ask them what version of windows did they like better for looks xp or 7 then recommend mate for xp and cin for 7 it seems to work for most people to start with. I ask for looks because the backend is the same the difference is in the interface.