Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Mint ? Or something Else ?
Greetings To All !

Sick of Windows 10 and all the associated ... uhmm ... nonsense ! You all know the deal I expect.

I will be building a new pc soon and want it as my daily driver ... and I want to try Linux. It's an AMD based system with Ryzen 2600X and an older GTX 650 GPU (for now) . For the sake of simplicity, I'm leaning toward Mint and was wondering which version would suit my needs. I'm guessing Cinnamon or Mate.

My needs are the usual suspects. Use internet (wifi mostly), email, spreadsheets, watch videos online, do some minor graphics creation and play a few games online. I really don't want to be too fussed with fiddling with this or that, OS-wise, until I am more familiar with Linux, generally. This will be a weening off W10 process, so I will keep W10 on my laptop until I'm comfortable with Linux. Then I will trash 10 on lappy once a good comfort level is reached.

I have other questions, but can be done on a different post. Thanks to the Linux community for providing such great alternatives to the megacorps schlock !

Loving the vids Joe ! Cheers !

Scort
I dislike Cinnamon.
I use only Mate on my computers...

However if you are wanting to try Linux Mint I strongly recommend you use their Cinnamon version.
1. Mint likes and understands Cinnamon. It is their creation and they do it as their primary focus.
2. they make a mess of Mate, and you will find little support.
3. I don't want you to hate Mate and never try it on a clean base.
Hi there,

i don't mean to be rude, but you asking the kind of question but you are the only one to be able to answer it. I explain my self:
If for your need cinamon or mate are better, at the end of the day it just a mater of personal taste and your own workflow. Here is the best answer i can give you: Try both in virtual machines with virtual box (or any other freeware of this kind) you can find it in windows.

I can also suggest for you to install any of this, and after the install just install the other one. Yes it is possible to boot in your linux distro and have on tour login screen the choice between several desktop environments. Yes linux is that free Smile
for instance my first DE was XFCE. After a while i decided to give a go to I3WM so i just installed it, and i had the choice to log in in any of this 2 DE at every boot or after boot, to go back to the login screen and switch freely.

But i digressing here. My point is you can try both in one distro. Just use the repos to download/install it.
Did you see that a YouTube Channel called Explaining Computers made a series of videos where he built a Ryzen PC? It is a different chip, but it is worth checking out.

https://www.explainingcomputers.com/ryzen/

He did also do a video on installing Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on it. Hope it helps.
Just a teen who LOVES working with computers
(07-06-2019, 10:38 PM)mexsudo Wrote: I dislike Cinnamon.
I use only Mate on my computers...

However if you are wanting to try Linux Mint I strongly recommend you use their Cinnamon version.
1. Mint likes and understands Cinnamon. It is their creation and they do it as their primary focus.
2. they make a mess of Mate, and you will find little support.
3. I don't want you to hate Mate and never try it on a clean base.
 Thank you for your reply and input. After watching many vids on Linux, I have decided to go with Mint Cin for now, and will explore and expand from there once I am somewhat comfortable with the Linux environment. Smile

(07-07-2019, 06:30 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: Hi there,

i don't mean to be rude, but you asking the kind of question but you are the only one to be able to answer it. I explain my self:
If for your need cinamon or mate are better, at the end of the day it just a mater of personal taste and your own workflow. Here is the  best answer i can give you: Try both in virtual machines with virtual box (or any other freeware of this kind) you can find it in windows.

I can also suggest for you to install any of this, and after the install just install the other one. Yes it is possible to boot in your linux distro and have on tour login screen the choice between several desktop environments. Yes linux is that free Smile
for instance my first DE was XFCE. After a while i decided to give a go to I3WM so i just installed it, and i had the choice to log in in any of this 2 DE at every boot or after boot, to go back to the login screen and switch freely.

But i digressing here. My point is you can try both in one distro. Just use the repos to download/install it.
Thanks for your response. No offense taken Smile I will take your suggestions under consideration as I move forward in this process/adventure. ps: I see MS has just updated there user agreement. Who knows what the heck is in there now LOL

(07-07-2019, 02:16 PM)Jeremiah Wrote: Did you see that a YouTube Channel called Explaining Computers made a series of videos where he built a Ryzen PC? It is a different chip, but it is worth checking out.

https://www.explainingcomputers.com/ryzen/

He did also do a video on installing Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon on it. Hope it helps.

Thanks Jeremiah. Will check it out Smile
Welcome to the community, Scort.

Yeah, Joe's vids are awesome.

You shouldn't go too far wrong with Mint Cinnamon as a starting off point.  All the best with the build.

Be warned: There are truckloads of cool programs out there that run on Linux and are free to download, so you may find that you start out aiming to "just replace what you were using on your Windows machine" and wind up with a lot of other cool stuff just because you can get it and you've got plenty of room on your computer...
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
@scort,

Sorry, i didn't even new there was a new MS licence.
Stick with something Ubuntu/Debian based with either the KDE or Xfce desktop and you can't go much wrong. I personally love Kubuntu but for Mint Cinnamon isn't bad now since they've got the bugs worked out and it'll give you a real Windows 7 kind of feel. KDE with the Dashboard menu is my "go to" and I love the look of it and how easy it is to find things.
I 2nd TNFrank's suggestion to stick with Ubuntu/Debian based distros, at least at first and don't be afraid to try out several distros before you decide on one for the long term. Linux is easy to install and usually pretty fast to install as well, including the after-install configuration/customization and installing additional applications if you choose. The monetary cost is great, so don't limit yourself. Make this a fun learning process.
Linux registered user #454271
Once you've settled on a good starting point that suits you and the lappy's been migrated to Linux, the PC can be used to get experimental with other distros and desktops so you can get an idea of what you like the look/feel of and decide if you want/need to change what you're using on your lappy.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE