Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Mint ? Or something Else ?
What he said. Smile
Linux registered user #454271
After you do pick a Distro and get it set up go a head and install Virtualbox so you can boot to .iso's and give em' a look without having to burn them to a usb to boot to or install them. That way you can satisfy your curiosity about a given Distro with the least amount of fuss and muss. I wish I'd have learned about VB earlier on in my Linux Journey, I'd have not wasted so much time burning .iso's to usb sticks, LOL
(07-21-2019, 04:51 AM)TNFrank Wrote: After you do pick a Distro and get it set up go a head and install Virtualbox so you can boot to .iso's and give em' a look without having to burn them to a usb to boot to or install them. That way you can satisfy your curiosity about a given Distro with the least amount of fuss and muss.  I wish I'd have learned about VB earlier on in my Linux Journey, I'd have not wasted so much time burning .iso's to usb sticks, LOL

Yeah, really good point.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
I can suggest for you to install any of this, and after the crossword solver sip calculator install just install the other one. Yes it is possible to boot in your linux distro and have on tour login screen the choice between several desktop environments. Yes linux is that free Smile
Hi Scort, welcome to the group.

Like you, I'm also a newbie to Linux, having only discovered it in May of this year. From personal experience this far into my journey, I would strongly recommend trying Linux Mint Cinnamon edition (I'm currently using 19.2).

Although, like so many others, thoroughly disillusioned with Windows, I found it to be the distro that could be structured to most resemble Windows ... thus making the transition a little easier.

Best of luck with your efforts .....  Smile Smile
Live as if you were die tomorrow .... Learn as if you were to live forever.

Mahatma Gandhi .....
When I move someone to linux I ask them what version of windows did they like better for looks xp or 7 then recommend mate for xp and cin for 7 it seems to work for most people to start with. I ask for looks because the backend is the same the difference is in the interface.
(07-06-2019, 09:51 PM)Scort Wrote: Greetings To All !

Sick of Windows 10 and all the associated ... uhmm ... nonsense ! You all know the deal I expect.

I will be building a new pc soon and want it as my daily driver ... and I want to try Linux. It's an AMD based system with Ryzen 2600X and an older GTX 650 GPU (for now) . For the sake of simplicity, I'm leaning toward Mint and was wondering which version would suit my needs. I'm guessing Cinnamon or Mate.

My needs are the usual suspects. Use internet (wifi mostly), email, spreadsheets, watch videos online, do some minor graphics creation and play a few games online. I really don't want to be too fussed with fiddling with this or that, OS-wise, until I am more familiar with Linux, Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire generally. This will be a weening off W10 process, so I will keep W10 on my laptop until I'm comfortable with Linux. Then I will trash 10 on lappy once a good comfort level is reached.

I have other questions, but can be done on a different post. Thanks to the Linux community for providing such great alternatives to the megacorps schlock !

Loving the vids Joe ! Cheers !

Scort

You shouldn't go too far wrong with Mint Cinnamon as a starting off point.  All the best with the build.
My favourite Distro is Linux Mint Cinnamon have been using it since 17.2 to 19.1 at the moment.  [Image: t2005.gif] There are many Distros to choose from...you can use Virtualbox or a live DVD/Flash Drive to find the one you like because not everyone likes the same one.   [Image: m0902.gif]

As you're going to build a new Computer...Cinnamon should run just fine and is very user friendly...what ever you choose...good luck. [Image: t2029.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
Hi all- throwaway to talk finances-

I’ve been using mint to keep track of my spending and other things- retirement goals, net worth, etc. but its not really working for me anymore, so I was hoping you could clue me in to some other (preferably free options) or give me a way to work around these issues.

My Roth IRA doesn’t have an online account for some overly complicated reasons. I can’t easily include my additions to that account in my goal tracking for my retirement goal because I have to list it as a property / cash account. Any way to include this in my goal?

My 401(k) account just moved to 2fa, which is theoretically great but now won’t link to mint so it hasn’t updated in more than a month.

for some reason, all my cc transactions for the month duplicate themselves and get reposted on the 20th so I have to go in and manually remove all of them.

Basically at this point Mint is less useful than it was and more trouble than its worth. So- suggestions?

Thanks so much!