Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is everyone using?
My main desktop pc had it's 10th birthday this past april.

Host: kubuntu Kernel: 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.16.3
Distro: Ubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo)
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: KX745AV-ABA m9600t v: N/A
Mobo: PEGATRON model: TRUCKEE v: 1.01 serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 5.07 date: 03/24/2009
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7 920 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
L2 cache: 8192 KiB
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GF119 [GeForce GT 520] driver: nvidia v: 390.116

Desktop 2, it is also 10 years old, running Kubuntu 19.10 alpha
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Duo 2.5 Ghm 4 GB RAM

A couple Lenovo laptops (gifts from a friend), both with Intel mobile Core 2 duo 2.5 or so, one Kubuntu and one with Mint MATE

Both desktops also dual-boot Windows 10.
Linux registered user #454271
(07-21-2019, 12:51 AM)Sundowner Wrote: My main desktop pc had it's 10th birthday this past april.  

One of the great things about the Linux community is how perfectly serviceable older machines are still being used.  How's that for reducing the Carbon Footprint!

On a related note, I'm shifting house at the moment and found an old Toshiba TE2100 I'd forgotten I'd been given (seriously, it's scary the amount of random archaic computer equipment I've got lying around).  Even more amazing is that I found the power supply in one of the boxes I was sorting through (along with Dell AXIM and HP iPAQ Pocket PCs). 

The TE2100's old, it's lower-spec'd than my old T43 Stinkpad and the battery won't hold a charge (apparently replacement battery packs are still available) but it still powers up and runs and is in remarkably good condition for its age (hasn't taken the same hammering as my old T43) - so I'm going to put Linux on it and one of my daughters can use it.

Unfortunately, neither the AXIM nor the iPAQ work properly - or I'd be attempted to stick Linux on them, too...
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
What the heck, all you got to lose is time. Go for it Wolf.
Linux registered user #454271
This one is going to be a long one for me, as I have a LOT of hardware around my house lol

Core i3, 2 Pentium 3's, 2 Pentium 4's, Pentium D, Core2Duo (t5850), Athlon II, Athlon 64, Athlon 64x2, and one beautiful Intel Pentium with MMX technology. lol
Those are the cpu's that I currently have power going through, and it would take a while for me to get the model numbers from each mobo, and the memory. But the system that I'm currently writing this from is the Core2Duo t5850 is inside of an HP TouchSmart iq506 ( I have a passion for older hardware), with 4gb of memory and a Crucial BX 240gb SSD.
The ones that I really play around with are the older systems, like the old Pentium based one's. All of my rigs run something GNU/Linux based, in some form or another, besides the one that I have DOS installed on and this one newer 2-in-1 laptop/tablet that I have from Asus (asus t100ta), and it only runs Windont because of the way they have it built.
Its a 64 bit cpu, but has a 32 bit bootloader (or bios?), so I cant even install a 64 bit windows on it lol. So, in turn, I haven't been able to get ANY kind of GNU/Linux onto it, no matter what I try, except for Android x86.

Cheers!
[Image: IplgSBz.png]
Ok, update, just moved from Kubuntu to Netrunner 19.01 "Blackbird" based on Debian. Same KDE desktop goodness but with a Debian base instead of an Ubuntu one.
(08-21-2018, 07:38 AM)Mdmartiny Wrote: I am just curious what is everyone's setup? What computer are you using? Is it a mashup of parts that you had laying around? One that you had previously and wiped the OS on it? What processors are you using? How much memory do you run?

I myself am using an old hp Pavilion a6303w that used to run Windows XP on it. It has 2 gigs of ram with an Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU E2140 processor. I am using this to run Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver) with the Mate 1.20.1 GUI. This may not be the greatest setup to be using. This is my first attempt at making a Linux computer. 

The tower and the computer both need some work. I am missing a couple of bay covers where optical drives are. I will be replacing them with HDD or SSD's (Most likely with HDD's since I have a couple of them laying around). I will be adding a much faster processor and maxing out the ram to 8 gigs when I have the funds to do so.
Have 3 machines. 1 Lenovo laptop dual booting Ubuntu Mate & windoz 7 w/ 4gb mem,, 500gb hdd. i3 dual core cpu.
Next is the HP 8200 w/12gb mem., 1 tb hdd i5 2400 cpu booting Mate19.04.
Next is my beasty Dell T5500 w/ a hyper threaded quad core xeon, 2 tb hdd, 12 gb mem. Nvidia quadro FX 3800
I parted out the hdd into 4 500gb parts, one for each OS. Right now only booting Mageia 7. I like to mess with the different Os's that well run this machine. This machine has been my greatest challenge. I couldn't get Mate to run right on it's workstation hardware. So I have been trying out Os's like CentOs, Fedora, and Mageia. Just trying to see which one runs the best on it. Mageia seems to run the best at this time.
This is what brought me here to ezeelinux.
Desktop – Quiet PC NanoQube
i3 4360T 3.2GHz
4 GB RAM
250 GB SSD Running Devuan ascii

Laptop – Sony Vaio VGN-NR11M
T2310 1.46GHz
1 GB RAM
150 GB HDD Running MIYO linux (Devuan + openbox)
Not running Linux yet (waiting on SSD to be delivered). The hardware that will be used is:
Lenovo B570 Laptop
CPU: Intel Pentium B950 2.1 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
Mem: Corsair DDR3L 1600 Mhz 8GB (2x4)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 240 Gb Crucial BX500

Will be a fresh install of either Linux Mint (Cinnamon) or Ubuntu 18.04 (gnome or Mate). Used Suse and Red Hat back in the '90s before I got drawn to the dark side by Windows.  Looking to get back to Open Source.
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009
(08-23-2019, 06:34 AM)John Swisher Wrote: Not running Linux yet (waiting on SSD to be delivered). The hardware that will be used is:
Lenovo B570 Laptop
CPU: Intel Pentium B950 2.1 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
Mem: Corsair DDR3L 1600 Mhz 8GB (2x4)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 240 Gb Crucial BX500

Will be a fresh install of either Linux Mint (Cinnamon) or Ubuntu 18.04 (gnome or Mate). Used Suse and Red Hat back in the '90s before I got drawn to the dark side by Windows.  Looking to get back to Open Source.

Update:
SSD arrived. Setup the laptop with Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS. Everything is running smoothly except that it will not shut off automatically. Thanks to others on the forum I do have a workaround.  Once I use this for a while I will transfer to a desktop.
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009