Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Software updater behaves weirdly
Hi all!

I'm using Xubuntu 16.04 (might upgrade to 180.4 soon enough, this may solve the problem, I know) and when I get the notification about my software updates (the yellow warning sign in the notification area) and I click it, my system always tells me it's completely up-to-date. But... when I quickly run "sudo apt-get update" before I click the warning sign, it will show me all the available updates. So somehow it seems the repositories are not checked before giving me the update notification. Why is this? And how can I make it behave such that I don't need to manually run the command? Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Marcel
have you try'd 
sudo apt-get upgrade
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU     T7700  @ 2.40GHz  4GB RAM
Linux Mint 19 (Tera) Xfce
AMD Athotholon™ 64           TF-20 @ 1.6GHZ 4GB RAM
Bodhi Linux 5

(08-21-2018, 07:34 AM)AuroraX Wrote: have you try'd 
sudo apt-get upgrade

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I did that yes. Did not help. How/why should it help? Running "apt-get upgrade" should update what "apt-get update" does, correct? So if only the latter makes a difference, why would running the upgrade help? Maybe I am a little confused about the interaction between all those upgrading/updating tools...
Don't know if this applies, but isn't 16.04 no longer supported? Or am I missing something here?
(08-21-2018, 04:05 PM)rjs1943 Wrote: Don't know if this applies, but isn't 16.04 no longer supported?  Or am I missing something here?

I think it is still supported, but nevertheless, the issue was already there before the 18.04 release, and in fact has been there ever since installation.
OK gotcha.  5 years is the support for LTS versions. I understand now. Try "sudo apt-get update" minus the quotes, let it do it's thing then type "sudo apt-get upgrade" let it do it's thing. Do all of this in terminal. Your system should be updated and upgraded.
(08-21-2018, 04:52 PM)Marcel Wrote:
(08-21-2018, 04:05 PM)rjs1943 Wrote: Don't know if this applies, but isn't 16.04 no longer supported?  Or am I missing something here?

I think it is still supported, but nevertheless, the issue was already there before the 18.04 release, and in fact has been there ever since installation.
The way I run it in terminal is  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y
This seems to work for me.