Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Play a Login Sound in Ubuntu 16.04
User "Johnnylarry" posted about this topic earlier in this section, but I couldn't get his link to work.

But with a quick search, I found a simple tutorial and had some fun creating a login sound greeting for Ubuntu 16.04.

Here is the tutorial. It only requires one command in the Startup Applications utility! It couldn't be easier:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2016...ntu-16-04/

Follow step 3 to play any .ogg, .oga, or .wav file after login.

I used a text-to-speech web app to create a few fun login greetings. The text-to-speech app saved the files as mp3s and was a little slow creating files at times, but I liked the voice quality, and I just converted the file to .wav to work with the tutorial.

Here's a link to the text-to-speech web app I used, if anyone cares. I'm sure there are better ones:

http://www.fromtexttospeech.com/

For anyone as dorky as I am, it would be fun to play around with some of the freely available LCARS sound files for login greetings/sound effects, or any other number of pop culture nonsense: "Shall we play a game?"

And for anyone feeling more mischievous than I, it would make for a pretty fun prank, too.

I'd attach one of the shorter .wav files I made, but they're not permitted attachments on here. All it said — in a British female accent — after login was:

"Authorization verified. Access granted. Please commence computing at your leisure. Remember to tip your administrator."
A person after my own heart.
I have all kinds of theme files saved from the Windows 3.1 days when you could theme your desktop with icons cursors sound files, open and closing logging in logging out in the whole business. 

I have saved these files all these years and I use them yet today  in Linux for logging in walking out files. I also tons of Sound by said I have create over the years from all kinds of movies flights to Space Odyssey and the year we make contact 2010 and on and on.  I have best from Stargate,  Star Trek, any Sci-Fi movies you can imagine oh, I have probably made a sound bite one way or another. And yes I have the one that says, hello Dave may I help you?

Here is a piece of code that I used at the end of the script that I am still working on...
Code:
<:> Here Is The Data For Defiant-Mint's System Information You Wanted.....
<:> Thank You For Using Your Hal-9000 Computer
<:> Goodbye!
So yes I am Star Trek, Syfy Rootin tootin sci-fi nut from way back and I will probably never change, at 65 why would I...
Thanks for the links. I will take a look that them...

Live long and Prosper!
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
Ha! Glad I'm not the only one still amused by what most people probably see as pop culture ephemera!

I even miss when the cheesier (fun) radio deejays heavily used sound effects and bites — but I know I'm alone there.

If you're writing your own scripts, you'll find my fist link laughable. It just uses a "paplay" command in the startup applications utility.

Keep Trekking!

Lol.. That was the best part of that movie other that "Gracy Knows"...  Big Grin

I will look at the links and see how it works..
I did just found out the other day that I could get something to read test files but I did not write it down nor the link where I fell on it just surfing around.

I had it where it almost sounded like the Hal-9000 when was singing "Daisy" simi-fast.... Lol
I was going to try to figure out how to put it into a script. I left it on the screen when I went to bed and we had another storm and the power went out. The damn backup only last 15 min at best. I was asleep and did not know it...  Sad

LLAP
Taglines of the Day:

Big Grin 
Sorry you lost what you were working on! Is it ironic or apropos that your Hal work died of a power failure? You sure somebody didn't intentionally pull the plug?! Wink

I'm trying my hardest to exercise self control and not post more ST quotes/scenes before they kick us both out.
(06-26-2019, 07:54 AM)Eurus Wrote: I'm trying my hardest to exercise self control and not post more ST quotes/scenes before they kick us both out.

"It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life" -- Cpt. Jean-Luc Picard
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Quote: Is it ironic or apropos that your Hal work died of a power failure?

I think it was ironic that his fate was like on the movie, No Power! LOL
I have been working on this script so hard I totally forgot about Hal... I need to find him but I am not sure what orbit he is in..... 

LLAP

"Vulcans never Bluff! - Spock"

"Confused? Call Counselor Troi: 1-900-NCC-1701: $1.95/min"
Taglines of the Day:

Ha! You two have opened the floodgates now.

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.— Chancellor Gorkon
Maybe when they release the Android build I can run this in Anbox or a VM.

LCARS47 Panel App Demo:

https://www.lcars47.com/