Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating programs
Hi,
How can I update a program using the terminal.
And what do I do if the update is not in linux repositories?
(06-16-2019, 05:59 AM)Daniel2213 Wrote: Hi,

Hi!

(06-16-2019, 05:59 AM)Daniel2213 Wrote: How can I update a program using the terminal.

Assuming you are on Mint, you can update your system with these two commands:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt updgrade

(06-16-2019, 05:59 AM)Daniel2213 Wrote: And what do I do if the update is not in linux repositories?

Then you wait until it is.

(Or you either try universal package management or building from source, but
that is usually not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing.)
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Assuming you are on Mint, you can update your system with these two commands:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt updgrade

Ok for my system but if I want to upgrade gimp(for example) to a newer version, or any other program; how do i do it?
With this commands you have to stick to what ever is in the repos. This include official and PPA.

If the version in the repo do not gives you satisfaction, maybe you should try some rolling release distro. There are several. they all upgrade the version in theirs repos with later version when they can. upgrading your system will upgrade the software version. Some do it faster, others slower, but they all constantly and gradually upgrade the packages in theirs repos.

In distros like mint (and a large number of them) you have to stick with what is in the repo (or PPA for ubuntus and based on) and in order to get new version, often you have to upgrade the full distro. For instance ubuntu 18.04 to 18.10 and after 19.04 and so on.

now the thing is: if you can live with a year old (or more) gimp version you are find in the version releases. If this is a problem for you and for some reason you need the last version, you will be better of in some rolling release distro.

Why am i mentioning this? Because it is always better and safer to stick with what ever packages you'll find in the repos. By installing software for gods knows where in the internet you may leave open doors in your system, repos packages have been tested by "the distro people" and they are safe.

now to answer your question, i never try this before. But i think your only option is to get the new version from source or the internet, uninstall the older and install the new one. But again a rolling release will handle this for you and it will be safer.