Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acer aspire 5000 (Linux Not working right)
Hey, i have an acer aspire 5000 laptop who i want to run Linux on. It currently runs windows XP. And XP is the only os i have found to work on it. I have tried multiple different distros but none of them seem to work. The distros just don't install and the driver support is crap. Any help?
Hey klokkefriken
By the looks of it the issues is that the GPU (SiS Mirage 2) does not support Linux at this point. It is a really old and obscure GPU so it should come as no surprise. There are some drivers available, but I doubt they would work as people were struggling with as far back as 2012.
Hey, i have an acer aspire 5000 <>FileZilla UC Browser Rufus  laptop who i want to run Linux on. It currently runs windows XP. And XP is the only os i have found to work on it. I have tried multiple different distros but none of them seem to work. The distros just don't install and the driver support is crap. Any help?
Sadly the one time the "Linux brings life to old computer" fails is this. An older machine using a very odd chipset or GPU that nobody ever got drivers for.

However, you say it is "not working right." Can you specify exactly what you see happening? Perhaps we could help if we knew the specific problems you are seeing.

OTOH, this might just be a case where the only thing you can do is run without a Linux "Desktop" meaning running it as terminal only. Less useful as a laptop, but it still can serve some purposes.
Should there be smoke coming from my CPU??
There is a way to get some older video working by turning on a repo I will have to see if I can find the info again.
Seems the repo I was thinking of was for 3dfx cards.

But I did find this page that may be of use to you :  https://www.notebookcheck.net/SIS-Mirage...282.0.html