Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Ubuntu repository
I am finding that most of the software in the Ubuntu repositories is obsolete. I run 16.04 and the repo offers me GIMP 2.8, which is ancient. I run a 19.04 virtual machine, and that repo offers me GIMP 2.10, but an old version. The latest version of GIMP was released two weeks before the release of 19.04, yet the repo has an older version. What gives? It would seem that long term support is not what it is promoted as. Is Canonical becoming another Microsoft?

My experiments with Arch Linux virtual machines have made a believer out of me. The Arch repos are kept up to the minute.

Richard
(06-05-2019, 03:17 AM)Richard Wrote: Is Canonical becoming another Microsoft?

No.

(06-05-2019, 03:17 AM)Richard Wrote: It would seem that long term support is not what it is promoted as.

Long term support does not mean that it will get the newet software,
it just means that it will get security fixes and minor updates for
a longer period of time.

(06-05-2019, 03:17 AM)Richard Wrote: The latest version of GIMP was released two weeks before the release of 19.04, yet the repo has an older version.

The software in Ubuntus repository is tested before it is included.
Two weeks is not enough time to test something enough to know if it
is stable.

(06-05-2019, 03:17 AM)Richard Wrote: I am finding that most of the software in the Ubuntu repositories is obsolete.

Ubuntu was never advertised as a bleeding edge, up to date system.
It favours stability and consistency over always having the latest
things.

(06-05-2019, 03:17 AM)Richard Wrote: My experiments with Arch Linux virtual machines have made a believer out of me. The Arch repos are kept up to the minute.

Because that is what Arch is all about. They will always ship
quite new releases, but untested, meaning the possibility
of something not working is higher.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Leon.p is exactly spot on with his answers.

Ubuntu never said they were bleeding edge.  They are trying to make sure the system works and stays stable.  You must keep in mind many programs in the Linux world rely on other programs (dependencies).  Due to this it isn't always as easy as simply updating the program you are interacting with directly.

For example a project might update to version 3.18 from 3.17.  However a library needed might be updated say libjpeg.  So just update that library right?  Not so fast.  There could be other programs that use that library and updating it would cause them to break.

If you want the latest bleeding edge, and as pointed out the higher chance of things breaking run Arch.  If you want stablity over features (and more bugs) than an LTS.  If you want semi middle ground then use one of the point releases from Ubuntu and keep upgrading every nine months.

As for GIMP it should be noted 2.10 changed a lot and there many dependencies that are not compatible with 16.04.  You can however run the latest GIMP (that supports your Ubuntu install 16.04 or 18.04) by using a PPA.  That's what I do to keep GIMP current for those clients and coworkers that want the latest version.

Ubuntu is not Microsoft.  Ubuntu is trying to make sure the system doesn't break or at least greatly reduce that chance.  Still if at the end of the day you don't like that way no problem run a rolling distro like Arch or Solus.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

Tools: GitHubCYA, Connect2SSH, Pdisks

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Servers (headless): CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian SPARC
Gimp 2.8 may be old but it is not obsolete. Why do you want the latest version? Does 2.8 not do what you want?

As a matter of policy Ubuntu will usually have old software to ensure it is tried and tested. If you must have the latest of everything then Ubuntu is the wrong distribution for you.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3
Good thoughtful answers, all of you. Thank you.

The improvements in GIMP 2.10 over 2.8 are many. They make it (for my usage) a viable alternative to Photoshop, whereas 2.8 was not. I run the Snap install of GIMP 2.10.10 in Ubuntu 16.04, and it works flawlessly.

Richard