Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPU / GPU running hot
Having an issue with my CPU and GPU running hot. Been doing some research the best I can and help with the issue. I will try to give some information.
I don't do a lot with this laptop mainly Youtube videos and this causes CPUs to ramp up and I have dealt with overheating to the point of it shutting off.
I hope the below information helps. If you need anything else let me know.

I installed TLP and CPUfreq and I have run a few commands and hope this give some information to go on.

inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: ron-LinuxMint19 Kernel: 4.15.0-50-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10
           Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC v: 049C210000241220000020000
           serial: <filter>
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 365C v: 32.24 serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: F.16 date: 01/22/2010
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: N/A condition: N/A/73.4 Wh model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Unknown
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7 Q 720 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem rev: 5 L2 cache: 6144 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 25538
           Speed: 931 MHz min/max: 933/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 931 2: 931 3: 931 4: 931 5: 931 6: 931 7: 931 8: 931
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 230M] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nvidia v: 340.107 bus ID: 01:00.0
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 230M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Device-2: NVIDIA GT216 HDMI Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-50-generic
Network:   Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM43225 802.11b/g/n vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: wl v: kernel port: 6000
           bus ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169
           v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 56.32 GiB (50.4%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: SanDisk model: SDSSDA120G size: 111.79 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 109.53 GiB used: 56.32 GiB (51.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 85.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 86 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 274 Uptime: 2h 39m Memory: 5.81 GiB used: 3.64 GiB (62.6%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
           gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: zsh v: 5.4.2 inxi: 3.0.27

running Psensor and here is results (see attachment)

.png   psensor_info.png (Size: 18.45 KB / Downloads: 5)
I haven't opened up my laptop to check the inside for dust or issues with fans or anything yet.
There are several items:

1) Do make sure all vents are clean.  Compressed air works well.

2) Does your board provide fan RPMs?  This can be in uEFI.  It is possible a fan died or is dying.  Most laptops still have a fan or two in them.

3) Invest in a laptop cooler board.  These often help greatly.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
If you are comfortable with it I would take off some covers and clean out all air passages inside and make sure the fans work, if you are not comfortable with it just stick with what cleverwise said as disassembling a laptop is much different than a desktop.

ps: check online to see if overheating is a common thing with your laptop as some just plain overheated from the factory from bad design.
I'm with Cleverwise, I bet the fan is dirty or has quit.
Overheating on laptops is always a issue. Most definitely use some can Air in the vints and or get the back off and get the fans checked....
I just replaced the one in my acer, it started screaming and quit....  Sad

Good Luck!  Wink
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
Thanks for the replies. I have an HP dv7-3180us laptop that I got 8-10 years ago I think. Anyways I do believe it is a bad design where they tried cramming in all kinds of stuff and then only one fan. I opened it up maybe a little too far lol and there was some dust on the fan, which works by the way, one of the things that drives me nuts. The fan runs all the time. I have put it back together and would you believe it won't turn on lol. I think the power button didn't get connected all the way, so get to take it back apart yay me. Hope that is the issue anyway. I was happy to bring back this laptop from the dead and get use Linux on it, but the fan running all the time is aggravating. Thanks again for the advice and suggestions. We will see what happens.
As long as you have it open make sure the fins of the heatsink are clean, as for the fan running all the time I would be surprised if many laptop fans ever turn off with the cramped space they work in.
Not sure what I did but it won't turn back on. I thought the power button was disconnected after taking it apart, but it still won't turn on. Sad 
It sucks because I only have 1 computer ( I know poor me) and not able to use Linux. Wasn't anything super important, but I do have the hard drive.
Carefully take it back apart and start over, take your time and double check everything.

Does it in any way seem to try to start or make noise of any kind when you turn it on?
You may have bumped a memory chip loose or some other connector without noticing, or pinched a wire.
Nothing happens. Press power and it does nothing. When I sprayed canned air it came out liquid a bit when cleaning the fan. The power button had come loose but think I got it back together. I am not sure what else it could be. I will give it a try and see if I can see anything. It can't hurt and good practice for repair lol.
I am going to state the obvious first but did you reconnect all the external power supply connections?

If yes (guessing so).

Are you seeing two pins for the power button header?

If so, while being careful, simply use a screw driver between them making contact with each side at the same time.  This is how you can start mainboards without a connected power switch.  I have done it many times.  However be ultra careful not to short anything out by touching electrical paveways.

If nothing happens then something else is wrong.  You should check the power supply connections inside the laptop.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer