Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OMXPlayer-like media player for the desktop?
So a bit ago I decided that I wanted my desktop to play the old Ubuntu Startup sound on startup. I created a script to do so and had it run on startup. The thing is in order to accomplish this I used the cvlc command to actually play the sound. The only problem is that now if I want to view a video on my hard drive or listen to music, I have to first kill the vlc process that was still running from the startup script (for those curious, I do have a "&" after the cvlc command and then have the exit command at the end of the script.)

On my raspberry pi I just use omxplayer, but after a bit of research I learned that I cannot get omxplayer to work on the desktop without compiling from source, something I don't really want to do, because it has no i386 or amd64 ports. I also hunted around and found cmus, but I want a media player where I can just call it from my startup script and not have to worry about it. For this, what would you recommend?
“And I knew exactly what to do. But in a much more real sense, I had no idea what to do.”
 - Michael Scott (from The Office)
(05-10-2019, 11:44 PM)Jeremiah Wrote: So a bit ago I decided that I wanted my desktop to play the old Ubuntu Startup sound on startup. I created a script to do so and had it run on startup. The thing is in order to accomplish this I used the cvlc command to actually play the sound. The only problem is that now if I want to view a video on my hard drive or listen to music, I have to first kill the vlc process that was still running from the startup script (for those curious, I do have a "&" after the cvlc command and then have the exit command at the end of the script.)

On my raspberry pi I just use omxplayer, but after a bit of research I learned that I cannot get omxplayer to work on the desktop without compiling from source, something I don't really want to do, because it has no i386 or amd64 ports. I also hunted around and found cmus, but I want a media player where I can just call it from my startup script and not have to worry about it. For this, what would you recommend?

Cmus, which is a really good music player, which I use daily to listen to music,
is absolute overkill for this. It is designed for interactive use, although it
can be called from scripts. You realy don't want to mess around with cmus library
driven design just to play an audio file.

I'd recommend 'mpv', 'ffplay' or 'paplay', all of which can easiely be included
in scripts to play audio files. I use 'mpv' in my RPi based music player.