Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A possible Virtualbox solution?
Hi Joe (if you ever see this) and everyone else who may be interested. I recently posted a thread on about how woefully slow Virtualbox 6.0 is. In fact, since the last two or three updates of version 5, Virtualbox has suddenly developed speed issues which it NEVER used to have prior to that. Now, it's practically unusable it's so slow. Anyway, I think I might just have the solution. No, it's not Gnome Boxes, or VMware. Joe, you recently said you were awaiting delivery of a donated laptop that someone had offered to you. Well - and this goes out to everyone else too - why not Install your chosen distro, install Timeshift (if it doesn't already come preinstalled), and then after taking a snapshot of the updated and tweaked system, then use that same machine to install whatever distro you want to test out, and then use Timeshift to roll the machine back to its previous state once you've finished tinkering with the trial distro? My only caveat is that I'd make the system partition pretty large so that you can just install root and home onto that one, rather than messing up your distro-of-choice's home partition, and also even if you want to try out Ubuntu or one of the Ubuntu flavours or Linux Mint that uses a a swap file rather than a swap partition, I'd make enough space to also create a small (say 2GB) partition for other distros that uses swap partitions rather than a swap file ...which is practically every other distro I've come across apart from the aforementioned Ubuntu (and flavours) and Linux Mint. That way, you benefit as you can test out distros on bare metal rather than a virtual machine, and then go back to your distro-of-choice afterwards so long as you make sure you keep your system snapshots that timeshift create, safely; perhaps saved in the original home partition or on an external drive. So what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Already doing that? Can you see any problems with it that I've overlooked?  Smile
Interesting idea. I've had a lot of luck with running VMs using KVM. It would be interesting to see how a given distro works on bare metal by using your method. A pretty safe way to dip a toe before hopping to a new distribution. It would be a lot of effort for someone just "kicking tires" but if I were serious about moving to a new distro, this makes sense. This is all predicated on the idea that you've partitioned correctly and don't wipe out your home directory with the upgrade Wink