Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Build ur own computer
(04-28-2019, 04:15 PM)NoWinBob Wrote: Am thinking of building my own computer,but a little scared about compatibility.What is the best way to find out which components are compatible with current versions of Linux,such as Ubuntu 18.04?A lot of the info around seems to be dated.There are not many companies in Canada building Linux machines,and the dollar exchange rate is  prohibitive right now.I would need to win a lottery to afford to by a computer from the USA.(sorry guys,thats the way it is).

my first post here, i installed both linux mint 19.1 and ubuntu 18.04 on an old asus notebook, a eee pc 1000h to be exact. the only change i have made to the notebook is the installation of a 1tb ssd drive. mint works very nicely on the unit with no problems except the ones i create for myself when i screw up when trying to add capability to the system.

so far there are no software issues, compatibility issues, etc. the only issues are user created due to a lack of experience with the software, though i am getting better.

my next project is updating an old lenovo laptop with a bigger drive and more memory and putting mint 19.1 on that unit, i like the bigger screen and keyboard. again i expect no compatibility issues.

the gist of all this is build the system you want, and then put on which ever linux distribution you like, and go to town. the nice thing i have noticed with linux is that it is much easier to reinstall the operating system to provide a clean slate if you screw things up, which i have done plenty of screwing up my OS believe me Big Grin
(06-03-2019, 01:31 PM)rbohm Wrote:
(04-28-2019, 04:15 PM)NoWinBob Wrote: Am thinking of building my own computer,but a little scared about compatibility.What is the best way to find out which components are compatible with current versions of Linux,such as Ubuntu 18.04?A lot of the info around seems to be dated.There are not many companies in Canada building Linux machines,and the dollar exchange rate is  prohibitive right now.I would need to win a lottery to afford to by a computer from the USA.(sorry guys,thats the way it is).

my first post here, i installed both linux mint 19.1 and ubuntu 18.04 on an old asus notebook, a eee pc 1000h to be exact. the only change i have made to the notebook is the installation of a 1tb ssd drive. mint works very nicely on the unit with no problems except the ones i create for myself when i screw up when trying to add capability to the system.

so far there are no software issues, compatibility issues, etc. the only issues are user created due to a lack of experience with the software, though i am getting better.

my next project is updating an old lenovo laptop with a bigger drive and more memory and putting mint 19.1 on that unit, i like the bigger screen and keyboard. again i expect no compatibility issues.

the gist of all this is build the system you want, and then put on which ever linux distribution you like, and go to town. the nice thing i have noticed with linux is that it is much easier to reinstall the operating system to provide a clean slate if you screw things up, which i have done plenty of screwing up my OS believe me Big Grin

Yea,I have to admit,I usually end up re-installing cause it's easier than trying to fix it.I should have stuck with computr science in high school,back in1968 or so,but the teacher was a @#$$%%.
Well,finally stopped procrastinating and built a brand spanking new computer.I decided to go with all new hardware instead of upgrading the old HP tower.I didn' thinj I had any paticular issues with the old i7 tower,but I now see that the video card was not optimal.The on board video on the new mackine is better;the 2 monitors didn't look quite the same.Now the color is very close to the same on both monitors without doing any adjustment on the monitors.The new hardware is as follows:Intel 8600K I5,3.6 ghz:Asrock Z360 Pro4 MB;HPEX950 M.2 SSD;(1 TB).Its all in an Antec Silent case.All I can say is WOW.Fast and totally silent.As this is the first time I  have ever laid eyes on a UEFI bios,its all greek(or geekspeak) to me,but the quiet setting is just like it says,so I"m happy.Maybe some day I will make it work hard enough to make the fans run faster ,but so far it"s cool and silent.So far I have been using PSensor to monitor temps.Is there a better one out there? :D :D :D
(09-02-2019, 08:38 PM)NoWinBob Wrote: Well,finally stopped procrastinating and built a brand spanking new computer.I decided to go with all new hardware instead of upgrading the old HP tower.I didn' thinj I had any paticular issues with the old i7 tower,but I now see that the video card was not optimal.The on board video on the new mackine is better;the 2 monitors didn't look quite the same.Now the color is very close to the same on both monitors without doing any adjustment on the monitors.The new hardware is as follows:Intel 8600K I5,3.6 ghz:Asrock Z360 Pro4 MB;HPEX950 M.2 SSD;(1 TB).Its all in an Antec Silent case.All I can say is WOW.Fast and totally silent.As this is the first time I  have ever laid eyes on a UEFI bios,its all greek(or geekspeak) to me,but the quiet setting is just like it says,so I"m happy.Maybe some day I will make it work hard enough to make the fans run faster ,but so far it"s cool and silent.So far I have been using PSensor to monitor temps.Is there a better one out there? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cool.  Nice specs for a solid rig.  No spell checker in the forum itself but modern web browsers will underline misspelled words and often offer a correction.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(09-02-2019, 09:25 PM)cleverwise Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 08:38 PM)NoWinBob Wrote: Well,finally stopped procrastinating and built a brand spanking new computer.I decided to go with all new hardware instead of upgrading the old HP tower.I didn' thinj I had any paticular issues with the old i7 tower,but I now see that the video card was not optimal.The on board video on the new mackine is better;the 2 monitors didn't look quite the same.Now the color is very close to the same on both monitors without doing any adjustment on the monitors.The new hardware is as follows:Intel 8600K I5,3.6 ghz:Asrock Z360 Pro4 MB;HPEX950 M.2 SSD;(1 TB).Its all in an Antec Silent case.All I can say is WOW.Fast and totally silent.As this is the first time I  have ever laid eyes on a UEFI bios,its all greek(or geekspeak) to me,but the quiet setting is just like it says,so I"m happy.Maybe some day I will make it work hard enough to make the fans run faster ,but so far it"s cool and silent.So far I have been using PSensor to monitor temps.Is there a better one out there? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cool.  Nice specs for a solid rig.  No spell checker in the forum itself but modern web browsers will underline misspelled words and often offer a correction.

Yea,turned it off cause it keeps correcting abreviations and stuff instead of searching.On another note,anybody know if I can disable power to the USB ports when the computer is turned off?I have an external device powered by USB;obviously it doesnt need power when the computer is off.I didn't see any other places to plug usb into on the motherboard.Both front and rear display this behavior.I looked in UEFI/bios ;didn't see anything that had anything to do with power to USB.Also,although the machine is super fast(compared to the old klunker)it takes almost 30 sec to boot.I tried the fast boot in UEFI,but it only cut it down to about 20 or 25 sec(about 5 sec faster)Am I missing something here.Boot time isn't that important:just curious.BTW,running Ubuntu 18.04.3LTS
Congratulations on the new machine! I really enjoy the quiet setting also. I also purchased fans that were known to be quiet, but ugly brown. Function over form every time!
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009