Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limitations of Xubuntu?
(04-26-2019, 02:17 AM)deck_luck Wrote: The original post  was "are there any important differences or system limitations (other than the desktop) in Xubuntu when compared to the standard Ubuntu 18.04?"

How are any of your replies or comments related to the original post?  Even with good intentions, this kind of off topic comments interfere with the original thread topic and tend to confuse new Linux users.  

Do you have any XFCE vs Ubuntu18.04 comments based on empirical experiences?  Let us try to help the original poster.

And what does "The LXDE light weight DE is just butt ugly and reminds me of a 1980s cheesy video game." contribute
to such a thread, when the question was about Xubuntu and not Lubuntu? I was simply pointing out LXDEs customisability,
which renders its default looks a far less dire issue and therefore makes it a viable alternative to XFCE, whichs
ability to look good is widely known. So, in fact, I was just building uppon your recommendation to also check out
LXDE and was making the additional statement to not dismiss it based on its (indeed outdated) out-of-the-box style.

As far as XFCE is concerned, well, it is a mess. Current versions are a mix between GTK-2 and GTK-3, so you might have trouble
finding a theme that both looks good and actually works. And there is always the typical XFCE issue, that regardless of whether
your theme is light or dark, there will most of the time still be an area where the colors clash (like dark text on dark background).
This is especially annoying for icons, as finding an icon theme that looks good on both dark and light background is not easy.
Surprisingly, even popular themes like Numix or Arc have this issue. I had the best experience with either the default themes
shipped with XFCE, which are far from beautiful, and Adapta.

I agree that getting your work done is the most important aspect of computing. But if I have to sit in front of my laptop for
a few hours to work on something, I want the working environment to at least look somewhat decent. In other words, I think
the only thing XFCE still does better than LXDE is the window manager. Although openbox is far more customisable then XFWM,
latter has a few integral key features, like the typical autoresizing of windows when you drag them against the side of the screen.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(04-26-2019, 07:57 AM)leon.p Wrote:
(04-26-2019, 02:17 AM)deck_luck Wrote: The original post  was "are there any important differences or system limitations (other than the desktop) in Xubuntu when compared to the standard Ubuntu 18.04?"

How are any of your replies or comments related to the original post?  Even with good intentions, this kind of off topic comments interfere with the original thread topic and tend to confuse new Linux users.  

Do you have any XFCE vs Ubuntu18.04 comments based on empirical experiences?  Let us try to help the original poster.

And what does "The LXDE light weight DE is just butt ugly and reminds me of a 1980s cheesy video game." contribute
to such a thread, when the question was about Xubuntu and not Lubuntu? I was simply pointing out LXDEs customisability,
which renders its default looks a far less dire issue and therefore makes it a viable alternative to XFCE, whichs
ability to look good is widely known. So, in fact, I was just building uppon your recommendation to also check out
LXDE and was making the additional statement to not dismiss it based on its (indeed outdated) out-of-the-box style.

As far as XFCE is concerned, well, it is a mess. Current versions are a mix between GTK-2 and GTK-3, so you might have  trouble
finding a theme that both looks good and actually works. And there is always the typical XFCE issue, that regardless of whether
your theme is light or dark, there will most of the time still be an area where the colors clash (like dark text on dark background).
This is especially annoying for icons, as finding an icon theme that looks good on both dark and light background is not easy.
Surprisingly, even popular themes like Numix or Arc have this issue. I had the best experience with either the default themes
shipped with XFCE, which are far from beautiful, and Adapta.

I agree that getting your work done is the most important aspect of computing. But if I have to sit in front of my laptop for
a few hours to work on something, I want the working environment to at least look somewhat decent. In other words, I think
the only thing XFCE still does better than LXDE is the window manager. Although openbox is far more customisable then XFWM,
latter has a few integral key features, like the typical autoresizing of windows when you drag them against the side of the screen.

Again, have your ever used Xubuntu or Ubuntu 18.04 on a day to day basis to come up with any valid empirical evaluations?
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

The new Lubuntu is built around the Qt tool kit IIRC and not GTK3 so it's actually LXQt now which is something I like because Qt seems to work a bit better and be lighter than GTK3 which is getting a bit outdated. Qt is what KDE is build on as well and many other DE's are moving to Qt. If you want light weight then Lubuntu is the way to go. As I said though KDE isn't as bad as it use to be coming in at around 500MB to run the Desktop which is on par with MATE and only slightly heavier than Xfce. I'd say download all the Ubuntu spins and boot them up via Live USB or VirtualBox and see what looks and works best for you.
(04-26-2019, 09:36 AM)deck_luck Wrote:
Again, have your ever used Xubuntu or Ubuntu 18.04 on a day to day basis to come up with any valid empirical evaluations?

Obviously. Otherwise I would not have made the observations I talked about.

I know that I just talked about the themeing. If you care about if it is usable: Yes it works fine.
I found nothing Ubuntu can do that Xubuntu can't, as expected. If you like the XFCE desktop
and want a stable system, then you will be happy with Xubuntu. The major difference between
the different Ubuntu flavours is basically just preinstalled software. They were all build uppon
the same base. And since I don't think XFCE is lacking anything functionality wise for the average
user, yet also does nothing special, I think it is neither inferior nor superior to the other flavours.
Just choose which desktop you like the most. Except when you have weak hardware, in which case
one should favour the lighter desktops, such as XFCE or LXDE.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard