Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limitations of Xubuntu?
I am relatively new to linux and am currently running Xubuntu 18.04. It runs well on my older hardware and I am considering putting it on one of my newer systems.  My question is are there any important differences or system limitations (other than the desktop) in Xubuntu when compared to the standard Ubuntu 18.04?
All the 'buntus will have the same Ubuntu base, it's just the desktop that changes. Some like LXQt or Xfce are lighter on RAM usage and run a bit better on older hardware, middle of the road desktops like MATE or KDE have medium use of the RAM(400-600MB) and even the heavy weights like GNOME or Budgie are still at or just a bit under 1GB of ram. Most modern computers have anywhere between 4GB to 8GB with some going with even more ram so you should be find with any desktop as long as you've got at least 4GB of RAM. IF you have less then LXQt(Lubuntu) or Xfce(Xubuntu) would be the best way to go especially if you've got an older 32bit system since both Xubuntu and Lubuntu (as well as Kubuntu and Ubuntu MATE) have 32 bit support. Hope this helps.
After evaluating over sixteen different distribution with various desktop, I finally settle for XFCE.  The XFCE and MATE are very similar mid weight desktop environments.  For that matter it was a tough choice between the XFCE and MATE DEs, and I would be happy using either.  Since Ubuntu studio uses the XFCE DE, I choice XFCE.  Now to put things in context, I am not easily impressed with the current over sensationalized meaningless features in the more modern heavy weight DEs.  I use a computer to get a job done not to be amazed by the DE.  Likewise, I prefer a DE that does not compete with my applications for system resources.  And, I prefer using a laptop on a day to day basis.   

If you are using a laptop, you probably should use a light or mid weight DE  to get the most out of your battery.  The LXDE light weight DE is just butt ugly and reminds me of a 1980s cheesy video game.  However appearances aside, if you are running very weak re-purposed hardware the LXDE may be necessary.  Hey what do I know you may like the LXDE appearance.  To converse laptop battery I would stay away from Gnome-3 based desktops like Cinnamon and Ubuntu 18.04.  The Gnome-3 desktop can be quite system resource intensive especially if your hardware does not support 3D acceleration.

I would encourage you to watch two of Joe Collins video concerning desktop environments listed below:

Linux Desktop Roundup | A Look at Five Desktop Environments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBz5A-fqnb4

The Linux Desktop Demystified
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzhNDlz8X2s

Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Don't be afraid of KDE, it's actually as light or a bit lighter than MATE now days.
Quote:Here is my LXDE desktop

May I suggest you just upload the picture as an attachment instead of displaying it inline, as it is quite obviously NSFW (not safe for work)?

(04-23-2019, 09:53 PM)deck_luck Wrote: The LXDE light weight DE is just butt ugly and reminds me of a 1980s cheesy video game.

LXDE itslef might look outdated, but it is build around the opebnbox window manager,
which can look truely beautiful, if you invest some time into it.

Here are a few examples I found online:
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Quote:May I suggest you just upload the picture as an attachment instead of displaying it inline, as it is quite obviously NSFW (not safe for work)?

Good idea, Leon. I followed your suggestion.

Richard
(04-25-2019, 09:12 AM)leon.p Wrote:

(04-23-2019, 09:53 PM)deck_luck Wrote: The LXDE light weight DE is just butt ugly and reminds me of a 1980s cheesy video game.

LXDE itslef might look outdated, but it is build around the opebnbox window manager,
which can look truely beautiful, if you invest some time into it.

Here are a few examples I found online:

The thread was created by a relatively new to linux user.  Do you believe it would be good advice to suggest a new Linux user attempt to create a custom openbox environement?  
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

(04-25-2019, 07:20 PM)deck_luck Wrote: The thread was created by a relatively new to linux user.  Do you believe it would be good advice to suggest a new Linux user attempt to create a custom openbox environement?

That strongly depends on how comfortable the user is with XML.

Despite, one can find a hell load of different themes online,
just like you can get GTK themes.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
I have to agree with both of you: Leon and deck_luck. When LXDE first pops onto the screen, it's pretty plain. Sort of like Windows 3.0. But unlike some of the other desktops, it's not so difficult to modify. Which for some of us is a lot more interesting than watching television. (I'm seventy-five and have never owned a television.)

Richard
(04-25-2019, 10:07 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(04-25-2019, 07:20 PM)deck_luck Wrote: The thread was created by a relatively new to linux user.  Do you believe it would be good advice to suggest a new Linux user attempt to create a custom openbox environement?

That strongly depends on how comfortable the user is with XML.

Despite, one can find a hell load of different themes online,
just like you can get GTK themes.

The original post  was "are there any important differences or system limitations (other than the desktop) in Xubuntu when compared to the standard Ubuntu 18.04?"

How are any of your replies or comments related to the original post?  Even with good intentions, this kind of off topic comments interfere with the original thread topic and tend to confuse new Linux users.  

Do you have any XFCE vs Ubuntu18.04 comments based on empirical experiences?  Let us try to help the original poster.