Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Budgie desktop in Arch-no Preferences tab (Solved)
I have a virtual Arch machine in Virtual Box running the Budgie desktop.
I also have an Ubuntu virtual machine running the Budgie desktop.
A lot of what shows up in the Ubuntu Budgie does not appear in the Arch Budgie. Basic stuff such as the "Preferences" tab in the "Budgie Menu" where you can select "Settings" and change wallpaper and such.
I have installed the "Budgie-extras" but they don't seem to be available.
What am I missing?

Richard
(04-20-2019, 08:10 PM)Richard Wrote: I have a virtual Arch machine in Virtual Box running the Budgie desktop.
I also have an Ubuntu virtual machine running the Budgie desktop.
A lot of what shows up in the Ubuntu Budgie does not appear in the Arch Budgie. Basic stuff such as the "Preferences" tab in the "Budgie Menu" where you can select "Settings" and change wallpaper and such.
I have installed the "Budgie-extras" but they don't seem to be available.
What am I missing?

Richard

Maybe these features were removed from Budgie and are still in Ubuntu because it ships older software then Arch.
Hello,

I not quite sure what you installed so i have to ask you: have you installed the gnome group ? in the arch wiki they say it is needed.

They also mentioning the usage of  dconfdconf-editor 

if you allready installed thoes, my apologies, but the problem in arch is often that people forget about packages needed to make other packages work. For instance i didn't know i had to install xorg separatly when i installed I3WM. I thought it was a dependency but it is not.
I installed the gnome-control-center package and I now have a "Settings" tab in the "Budgie Menu".

Thank you.

Richard
glad to read that.
I just did an Ubuntu Budgie install and I'm also learning the "ins and outs" of this Desktop. Looks nice so far but not as nice as my beloved KDE on Kubuntu. Hopefully the more I use it the more I"ll get use to using it.
The thing to know about desktop in linux is: when it is delivered by the distro it self, it will be tweaked by the distro "producers" to feed some needs and to look like they want. When you download one from the repo it is just bare bones as the DE people have made it.
When downloading a DE from the repo you need to spend some time to tweak it the way you want it to look and behave.