Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOW (A Helper For Arch) Is Now Ready For DL
Success!

I could not figure out how to download the file in plain text from gitlab using curl (all I could get was the HTML code) so I copied the text file to a server I use for various things and used curl with the link to that file.

I have bow open in Arch right now.

Richard.
(04-02-2019, 03:26 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 03:21 PM)Richard Wrote: I cannot get bow.sh to run in my Arch virtual machine.

I have done the following:

I put the file: bow.sh in the usr/local/bin directory and made it executable.
I opened sudoers and added my user name "richard ALL=(ALL) ALL" directly under "root  ALL=(ALL) ALL"
I changed the terminal to the directory:  "cd /usr/local/bin"
the "ls -l" command shows one file in there: bow.sh in bright green. -rwxrwxrwx
I enter "sudo ./bow.sh"
It asks for the root password
I enter that.
I get nothing but my terminal prompt again.

Am I missing something? Or should I re-install Arch?

Richard

When you put it in a directory which is in your '$PATH' (which '/usr/local/bin' should be), then you do not need to 'cd' into the directory and execute it with './'. Simply writing 'bow.sh' will be enough, especially since I think it will call 'sudo' itself. Judging by the screenshots, you will also need 'dialog', which is not installed by default in arch.

BOW will install everything it needs, including dialog, if there is internet. but Leon.p is right about everything else.
you  could also try moving it to your home directory and running it with sudo. the effect should be the same though. the first thing bow does is check for root, then dialog. if dialog isn't installed it will install it.

i have not tested BOW when it is in '/usr/local/bin' it never even occurred to me to do that, will do that now.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-
It is okay to not be able to answer a question,
however it should be a crime to not be able to question an answer.

@ArrowLinux
I see your issue. For now, move it to '/home/your-username'
Code:
cd /usr/local/bin && sudo mv bow.sh ~/bow.sh

And run it as sudo from your home folder.
Code:
sudo ./bow.sh

This works.

In the meantime, I will investigate the the permissions issue, which is what seams to be the problem, at least on this end.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-

@ArrowLinux
I am good to go with bow. Once I discovered I was trying to run an empty bow.sh file, it all came together.

Richard
(04-02-2019, 11:48 PM)Richard Wrote: I am good to go with bow. Once I discovered I was trying to run an empty bow.sh file, it all came together.

Richard

excellent!

Let me know how it works out for you. What works, what doesn't, things you would like to see added, or anything you think would make BOW better.

Any opinion is valued. Positive or negative.

kudos
-

@ArrowLinux
(04-01-2019, 09:18 PM)eliasw4u Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:30 PM)leon.p Wrote: You should not use 'yaourt' for AUR integration:
It is old, deprecated and abandoned . Modern alternatives are 'trizen' and 'yay'.

Besides that, this tool might be useful for people.

I am not yet familiar with 'trizen' or 'yay'. I will look into them. Thanks for that info.
I too am old, and deprecated.  Big Grin     so I will fee bad if/when I do switch. For now, as long as it is functional....
However, eventually I imagine that I will change it. but if/when that happens I will make the change as painless as possible.
I had the same reaction as leon.p. Now here is my question for you elias: how possible/difficult is it to left the user the option to use his favorit aurman instead of yaourt?
(04-06-2019, 09:10 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: I had the same reaction as leon.p. Now here is my question for you elias: how possible/difficult is it to left the user the option to use his favorit aurman instead of yaourt?

Sorry it took so long to respond.

I am working on something along those lines. The code itself isn't that hard, though extensive changes need to be made. It is the actual installation process, or stability between different systems, as well as time that is the issue.

I am very big on choice, and the freedom of it. And I agree, people should have the choice of what AUR Manager they use.  I have one in testing right now that checks to see if you have one of three different AUR Managers installed. If one of them is already installed, then it makes a VAR to replace the use of yaourt with your installed AUR Manager. Otherwise, if no AUR Manager is installed it still just installs yaourt. Which is why it isn't uploaded yet.

The plan is to set it to search for a specific file that bow will make on your computer. If that file does not exist it will search for an AUR Manager, and if one isn't installed then it will give a choice of the top 3 and yaourt (because i am a fan of it ) and then install the chosen AUR Manager. Then it will add that file. In the file will contain the name of the chosen AUR Manager. Once the file exists it will add the name that is in the file as a VAR ,skip the search, and go on to the next.
Though the code is somewhat convoluted, the user will see it give a choice one time then remember every other time. The experience should be smooth.

My biggest problem is time. But it is coming.

I should have an early version uploaded within two weeks.

VAR = Variable

As I have said before,
I am always delighted when people give feedback, whether positive or negative. It lets me know if I am going in the right direction.
So thank you Tuxinho.

kudos
-

@ArrowLinux
surprise!

I worked on it all day and have his
[Image: AUR-ch.png]

It took about 200 more lines of code , but it now asks you what you want instead of choosing for you.
if anyone has a favorite, drop it here and I will try to integrate it.

It is not tested yet. yaourt has, and yay is partially tested. i will upload it tonight as bow-2.0.sh in the same repos. Once it is tested I will drop the 2.0 this is to ensure that bow is stable.

I also fixed the yaourt install bug in the original bow.sh

If you have any issues with bow-2.0.sh run
Code:
sudo rm /srv/AURhlpr.txt

Then run bow-2.0.sh again

to remove yaourt
Code:
sudo pacman -Rs yaourt

Updates will come often over the next two weeks. Keep looking here, and in my repos.

kudos

As a foot note, I am also going to add a page dedicated to adding and removing AUR Managers/helpers
But after the testing on this is worked out.
-

@ArrowLinux
I have been using bow.sh to update my three Arch virtual machines for a while now. It is a nice tool to have.

Richard
I added that page last night. wow I said it wouldn't take much. But what started out as 1,427 lines of code is now 2,021. and that includes removing about 50. It took 22 hours no breaks. But I love this stuff.

still working out a few small bugs. But it is ready for public testing.

I say again it is listed as bow-2.0.sh
Code:
curl https://gitlab.com/arrowlinux/zub/raw/master/bow-2.0.sh > bow-2.0.sh

kudos

(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)Richard Wrote: I have been using bow.sh to update my three Arch virtual machines for a while now. It is a nice tool to have.

Richard

That is fantastic Richard. I am glad it is Useful to someone besides myself. Makes the effort a little more worthwhile.  Big Grin

All my systems are setup with a BOW launcher. So it's just a click away. Because as i have said, I use it daily.

Be sure to let me know if you run into any issues. And that goes for anyone.

Again i want to say, If you have any problem with bow-2.0.sh run
Code:
sudo rm /srv/AURhlpr.txt

That will reset BOW to search again for the installed AUR Manager the next time it runs. That usually fixes it. if after that you still have an issue, tell me about it here.

Alternatively you can reset it from within BOW. click
Update Options > Add Remove AUR manager > Reset AURhlpr.txt

This will reset it without the need to close and re-open BOW.

kudos
-

@ArrowLinux