Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOW (A Helper For Arch) Is Now Ready For DL
Okay, I have tested yay, pakku, and yaourt. All good so far. Trizen was giving me some flack  but seems to be OK. Though I am still testing it. almost finished for the day. And actually BOW-2.0 seems to be stable now.

The down side is that you now need to enter your password occasionally from within BOW, where as before you only did it at the start.

The upside is more choice, more freedom, and more tools within BOW. its worth it.

kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-
It is okay to not be able to answer a question,
however it should be a crime to not be able to question an answer.

@ArrowLinux
Here's a dumb question: what is in AUR that is not already in the core, extra, and community repositories?

I use Libre Office, Gimp, Firefox, gedit, a video editor, and a cd burner. That's about it.

Richard
Trizen is bug free (cross my fingers, for luck) I had to remove a color feature that the others have. But it is functional.

When Multiple AUR  Managers are installed, it searches first for Yaourt, Then Trizen, Then Pakku, And then Yay.
The last one it finds in that order is the one it uses.

for example,
If Yaourt and Pakku are installed, Pakku will be used.

I did this in that order because it follows the order of popularity.
This is based on a very small sample, so if your opinions differ leave a comment below and tell me about it.

BOW 2.0 is ready for public testing.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-

@ArrowLinux
(04-29-2019, 01:55 AM)Richard Wrote: Here's a dumb question: what is in AUR that is not already in the core, extra, and community repositories?

I use Libre Office, Gimp, Firefox, gedit, a video editor, and a cd burner. That's about it.

Richard

sublime text 2

And everything else that is not in core, community and extras. basically if it was built on Linux you can probably find it in AUR. Although that is not entirely accurate, it is pretty close.

here is a list of app in repos
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/
-

@ArrowLinux
(04-29-2019, 01:55 AM)Richard Wrote: Here's a dumb question: what is in AUR that is not already in the core, extra, and community repositories?

Richard

Here is my lazy answer: https://www.archlinux.org/packages/  Big Grin

now more seriously in this link you can find every single packages available with pacman, all of them from core, extra and community. And if you look on the page up-right side in the link, you'll see AUR, clic on that and you'll find every single package in the AUR.
In both case you have a search bar where you can type to search specific packages.

To answer in an other way, is in the official repos it is not in the AUR, AUR is the equivalent of PPA in Ubuntu Except that they are not mirrors you use to download packages from, you'll have to git clone them and build them from source. Or a aur manager can do that for you. But aur managers are all in the AUR so you'll have to git clone it and build it anyways.

i hope it helped.
(04-29-2019, 05:42 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: To answer in an other way, is in the official repos it is not in the AUR, AUR is the equivalent of PPA in Ubuntu Except that they are not mirrors you use to download packages from, you'll have to git clone them and build them from source. Or a aur manager can do that for you. But aur managers are all in the AUR so you'll have to git clone it and build it anyways.

AUR is not limited to building from source. Since the 'PKGBLD' files, which
are the main contents of every AUR package, are basically just shell scripts,
an AUR package can do basically anything to get software onto your system.
Besides downloading source and compiling it, this can also mean downloading
prebuild binaries or litteraly just 'echo'ing something into a file somewhere.
This of course means that they are quite a severe security risc.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
It looks like we hijacked this thread. Sorry Elias. Let's leave the thread to bow.sh matters and have our AUR conversations in an AUR thread.

Richard
I can't remember reading a good thread that didn't get side tracked at some point or another.
So no problem, it makes it a little more human.

moving on,

I am having an issue in programing yay, pakku and trizen to give the same output that yaourt can. Here is the output of yaourt
[Image: BOW-with-yaourt.png]

And here is yay in use, but the other two have the same output.
[Image: BOW-with-yay.png]

I am not familiar with yay, pakku, or trizen. But the output of yaourt is extremely useful to me because it will tell me when an update is coming from AUR, extra, core, or community. which determines how the update is ran

So the question is fairly simple.
What flag do I put to get the same output on yay, or the other two? I have looked in the man page for yay and pacman but have not found anything, maybe I just missed it.

This is the command I use to get the yaourt output in bow.sh

Code:
yaourt -Sy --color ; clear ; clear ; OUTP2="$(yaourt -Qau | wc -l)" ; yaourt -Qau --color ; echo "" ; echo "Updates Available ${OUTP2}  "
My focus is the fifth command in the string. Notice the -Qau flag. When the "a" flag is used in yay it only searches and or updates AUR apps. Yay also needs to know when to add color

Here is the command with yay

Code:
yay -Sy --color always ; clear ; clear ; OUTP2="$(yay -Qu | wc -l)" ; yay -Qu --color always ; echo "" ; echo "${OUTP2} Available Updates"
Surly there must be a flag for this, or perhaps even a more convoluted way of getting the same or close to the same output.

So what is the solution? Any ideas?
-

@ArrowLinux
I've been playing around and searching.
I ran the same command using pacaur and it came out as good as, dare I say even better than yaourt.
Though it is not the fastest by any means, but then neither is yaourt.

Here is the output of pacaur
[Image: pacaur.png]

For obvious reasons, I have added pacaur to BOW-2.0

I wil be removing the 2.0 in 3 days. taking it back to "bow.sh". Basically just renaming "bow-2.0.sh" to "bow.sh". The original "bow.sh" will be renamed to "old-bow.sh"
Though I will post when that change is made.

I still have not found a solution to the previous post. I am still looking for advice on this.

kudos
-

@ArrowLinux
Elias,

When I run bow-2.0.sh and ask it to install an AUR manager and select Pacaur, it just sends me back to the "add or remove an AUR manager" screen.

There is a directory now in my home called "pacaur" in which there is a file called "pkgbuild" of 4.1 kb. But when I go to "Show installed AUR managers" it shows me an empty list.

When I select "List available updates +AUR" it just throws me back to "List available updates".

Richard