Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BOW (A Helper For Arch) Is Now Ready For DL
BOW is based off of My BUB script for Ubuntu/Debian/Mint. Here is the link to the post for that.
https://www.ezeelinux.com/talk/showthread.php?tid=309

BOW is designed to help users running Arch Linux do basic and mundane actions. it is ran in a terminal and can be used at any stage of the Arch install and even after the installation is finished. i use it daily to run updates and check other things.

Here are some screen shots.

[Image: Screenshot-2019-03-31-20-45-58.png]
this is the main menu as you can see.
Lotto fun  is just a random lottery number generator.
And it is just for fun. hence the name.
It has nothing to do with Arch at all.
Though everything else is for Arch.

[Image: Screenshot-2019-03-31-20-47-32.png]

This by far is what i use the most in BOW. this is simple, fast, and relatively safe. Update Options is where BOW really shines  (IMHO).

[Image: Screenshot-2019-03-31-20-48-21.png]
ever upgraded your ram? when using a swap partition it can be a pain to update that as well.  But with a swapfile it is as easy as a click of a mouse when using BOW.

OH, and It´s glances, not glance. yes that has been fixed.

[Image: Screenshot-2019-03-31-20-49-28.png]

Users and Passwords is my second favorite spot.  This makes it a breeze to change a password, and you should do this often.
The "How to use this tool" has been removed. because it explains as you go (mostly).

[Image: Screenshot-2019-03-31-20-51-20.png]

Refresh mirror list is a great tool for Arch. However it does NOT work in Manjaro because Manjaro has its own repos and doesn't carry reflector. Which is the app used to update the repos. Everything else is compatible with Manjaro (As far as i have found). So basically, while using Manjaro Reflector wont work, but then it wont be needed.

BOW will check for  four(4) apps. yaourt, dialog, glances, and reflector. If they are not installed BOW will install them. yaourt wont install unless it is needed ( Meaning until you click on something that needs access to AUR ).

This script and others can be found here
https://gitlab.com/arrowlinux/zub

to run it open a terminal and migrate to its location then enter
Code:
chmod +x bow.sh
to make it executable.

then to run it enter
Code:
sudo ./bow.sh

As with all my scripts, i build them to be as user friendly and as safe as possible. though i am not responsible for your actions, or any mishap that may arise from the use of any of my scripts in part or in full.  the responsibility is all yours. use at your own risk.

It was fun to build. I hope this script helps someone.
kudos
Eli,

You are just in time. I installed Arch as a virtual machine yesterday. It went well until I installed the Gnome desktop. The log-in screen is glacially slow. Also Guest Additions wants something it doesn't have in order to completely install.

Anyway, I am experimenting, and it appears that BOW may be a useful tool for my experiments.

Richard
You should not use 'yaourt' for AUR integration:
It is old, deprecated and abandoned . Modern alternatives are 'trizen' and 'yay'.

Besides that, this tool might be useful for people.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(04-01-2019, 01:30 PM)leon.p Wrote: You should not use 'yaourt' for AUR integration:
It is old, deprecated and abandoned . Modern alternatives are 'trizen' and 'yay'.

Besides that, this tool might be useful for people.

I am not yet familiar with 'trizen' or 'yay'. I will look into them. Thanks for that info.
I too am old, and deprecated.  Big Grin   so I will fee bad if/when I do switch. For now, as long as it is functional....
However, eventually I imagine that I will change it. but if/when that happens I will make the change as painless as possible.

As for its usefulness, I tested BOW for over two months before releasing it. working out as many bugs as I could find. on 3 different computers of various ages. one Manjaro with xfce, one Arch with xfce, and another Arch but with KDE. also in a vm I tested it with Manjaro KDE, and Gnome. with Arch Cinnamon, xfce, KDE, I3-gaps, openbox, and LXDE. And I cannot find anymore bugs. perhaps some misspelling here and there, but nothing that is an issue as far as functionality.

NOTE:
It is possible to add swap-file to fstab multiple times. However in testing, this doesn't seem to have an affect. I am currently working on a code to grep fstab for swapfile and skip it if it is already there. Any concepts, ideas, and code are welcome. And as some of you already know, I always give credit where credit is due.

kudos

(04-01-2019, 12:13 PM)Richard Wrote: Eli,

You are just in time. I installed Arch as a virtual machine yesterday. It went well until I installed the Gnome desktop. The log-in screen is glacially slow. Also Guest Additions wants something it doesn't have in order to completely install.

Anyway, I am experimenting, and it appears that BOW may be a useful tool for my experiments.

Richard

I have noticed that depending on what the computers OS is. Sometimes in a VM if you use Linux-lts as the kernel it can cause issues with Guest Editions. So when running in a vm I always use the standard Linux kernel.

I hope Bow is useful for you. thanks for your reply.

kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-
It is okay to not be able to answer a question,
however it should be a crime to not be able to question an answer.

@ArrowLinux
How can I get the bow.sh file into the terminal of my headless Arch virtual machine from the Ubuntu 16.04 host machine? I have no mouse cursor in the terminal nor do I have keyboard copy and paste functionality.

Richard
(04-01-2019, 11:49 PM)Richard Wrote: How can I get the bow.sh file into the terminal of my headless Arch virtual machine from the Ubuntu 16.04 host machine? I have no mouse cursor in the terminal nor do I have keyboard copy and paste functionality.

Richard

You could use 'curl' or 'wget' to download the file.

Code:
curl https://gitlab.com/arrrowlinux/zub/raw/master/bow.sh > bow.sh

Thank you Leon. cURL did the job.

Richard
I cannot get bow.sh to run in my Arch virtual machine.

I have done the following:

I put the file: bow.sh in the usr/local/bin directory and made it executable.
I opened sudoers and added my user name "richard ALL=(ALL) ALL" directly under "root ALL=(ALL) ALL"
I changed the terminal to the directory: "cd /usr/local/bin"
the "ls -l" command shows one file in there: bow.sh in bright green. -rwxrwxrwx
I enter "sudo ./bow.sh"
It asks for the root password
I enter that.
I get nothing but my terminal prompt again.

Am I missing something? Or should I re-install Arch?

Richard
(04-02-2019, 03:21 PM)Richard Wrote: I cannot get bow.sh to run in my Arch virtual machine.

I have done the following:

I put the file: bow.sh in the usr/local/bin directory and made it executable.
I opened sudoers and added my user name "richard ALL=(ALL) ALL" directly under "root  ALL=(ALL) ALL"
I changed the terminal to the directory:  "cd /usr/local/bin"
the "ls -l" command shows one file in there: bow.sh in bright green. -rwxrwxrwx
I enter "sudo ./bow.sh"
It asks for the root password
I enter that.
I get nothing but my terminal prompt again.

Am I missing something? Or should I re-install Arch?

Richard

When you put it in a directory which is in your '$PATH' (which '/usr/local/bin' should be), then you do not need to 'cd' into the directory and execute it with './'. Simply writing 'bow.sh' will be enough, especially since I think it will call 'sudo' itself. Judging by the screenshots, you will also need 'dialog', which is not installed by default in arch.

Yes, usr/local/bin is in the $PATHS

Addendum: I just looked in the bow.sh file that is in the /usr/local/bin directory. It is empty. Duuhhh!

Richard