Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Linux distro for the visually impaired
[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Hello  every  one and thank you Joe and the team for an amazing website and forum.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I am a visually impaired user, and for a long time have been looking for alternatives to windows but have not succeeded due to accessibility issues.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]There are quite a few proprietary software such as jaws for windows and a free and open source project called NVDA screen reader that provides access ability in the form of a screen reader for windows.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]For anyone that does not know, the screen reader provides audio feedback to the blind or visually impaired user when navigating the screen.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]I am pleased to see that ubantu has such a facility enabled in the form of orca. After lots of testing and research, orca works best on ubantu mate and the gnome environments.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]It unfortunately does not work well at all with the cinnamon Desktop environment and, is very unresponsive in the Linux mint mate environment as well.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]So if there are any blind users or, you are a Sistine a visually impaired user, The best recommendation for you to give them is ubantu mate. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]Is there anyone here that can point me in the right direction in terms of who do we speak to in terms of future screen reader development. Even though orca works, it is still far away from both NVDA and jaws. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Display][font=.SFUIDisplay-Semibold]NVDA is an open source project and from what I read has been written in python. What would be nice is to perhaps in gauge  with these guys to see if the screen reader can be imported in to Linux. If somehow all this can be perfected, we would be able to get thousands of visually impaired users to gain acces to computers as many of them cannot afford the hefty price of jaws. [/font][/font]