Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to update guest additions in VBox from 5.2 to 6.0
I upgraded today to 6.0.4. I have four virtual machines running, all various Ubuntu versions. Of course when I boot up the virtual machines they tell me the guest additions are out of date, and to go to "Devices" and select "Install" to update to the 6.0 version.

Okay. Obviously there in no "Install" in "Devices" to select. (You have to wonder who writes some of this stuff.) If I select "Insert Guest Additions into the Virtual Drive" I get this:

Could not mount the media/drive '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Okay, I force an unmount and finally get it inserted, but it won't't run. All I can get is a file manager with no options to run the guest additions.

How do I get the damned thing to run?

Richard
(03-22-2019, 11:45 PM)Richard Wrote: I upgraded today to 6.0.4. I have four virtual machines running, all various Ubuntu versions. Of course when I boot up the virtual machines they tell me the guest additions are out of date, and to go to "Devices" and select "Install" to update to the 6.0 version.

Okay. Obviously there in no "Install" in "Devices" to select. (You have to wonder who writes some of this stuff.) If I select "Insert Guest Additions into the Virtual Drive" I get this:

Could not mount the media/drive '/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Okay, I force an unmount and finally get it inserted, but it won't't run. All I can get is a file manager with no options to run the guest additions.

How do I get the damned thing to run?

Richard

Hi Richard i recently started playing around with virtual box ( im a noob)..and am having issues with it.. but the one thing i noticed in my tinkering..is that you have to install the correct extension pack for the version you are running..perhaps when you upgraded the extension pack wasnt upgraded as well.. just a thought