Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virtual Box will not open guest systems (Solved)
Following an Ubuntu update three days ago (16.04), I get the following message when I attempt to run a guest system in Virtual Box.

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT."

(There is no file: dev/vboxdrv in existence on my system)
When I run '/sbin/vboxconfig' I get this message:

"sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
[sudo] password for raspero:
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-setup.log to find out what went wrong.
There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root."

I re-installed Virtual Box, but the problem remains. I looked at the log file as recommended, but it is huge and says nothing I can understand.

Richard
Hello Richard
I've had a similar if not the same issue. I solved it by reinstalling Virtualbox package. (not just virtualbox-qt which provides the user interface)

When you reinstalled did you only reinstall virtualbox-qt or virtualbox in its entirety?
If you reinstalled from the software centre then you have most likely only reinstalled virtualbox-qt
The only way to be sure that you have reinstalled virtual in its entirety is to issue the commands if you haven't already.
Code:
sudo apt remove virtualbox
sudo apt install virtualbox
If that dosen't work and I have my commands right then this is not is causing the issue.
I ran the apt remove in the terminal and it failed to remove it. I then used synaptic to remove it. I then re-installed it. I have the same problem. There is no /dev/vboxdrv file.

Richard
I discovered on the Virtual Box forum that others are having the same problem with the latest Ubuntu kernel. I booted up with the previous kernel and I did not have to do anything. My guest systems boot up fine now. Either Ubuntu will fix the kernel or Oracle will fix Virtual Box. (One hopes.)

Richard