Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cannot upgrade to VBox 6.0
I currently run Oracle VBox 5.22. When I try to upgrade to 6.0 I get the following error message:

raspero@ricardo-Aspire-TC-710:~/Downloads$ gdebi virtualbox-6.0_6.0.0-127566~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading state information... Done
This package is uninstallable
Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-5.2' that conflict: 'virtualbox'. But the 'virtualbox-6.0_6.0.0-127566~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb' provides it via: 'virtualbox'

The SHA256 checksums match.

Richard
By the looks of it you can only have one version of Virtualbox can be installed at a time.
This is why it is saying
(12-23-2018, 02:12 PM)Richard Wrote: Breaks existing package 'virtualbox-5.2' that conflict: 'virtualbox'. But the 'virtualbox-6.0_6.0.0-127566~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb' provides it via: 'virtualbox'

as 5.2 (the version from the software repositories) and 6.0 are "conflicting" as they have the same name.

I don't know any work-arounds other than to uninstall 5.2 before installing 6.0
I am trying to upgrade from 5.2.22 to 6.0. When I upgraded from from 5.2 to 5.2.22, I simply double-clicked on the .deb file and it upgraded using Ubuntu Software.

I don't want to remove version 5.2.22 completely and then have to re-install all of my guest machines.

Richard
Removing virtual box 5.2.22 won't remove your virtual machines as they are stored independently in /home in the VirtualBox VMs folder. Once you install virtualbox 6.0 you will able to access your VMs.

On another note virtualbox 6.0 may not work because of your hosts kernel modules, so keep your expectations low.
(12-24-2018, 06:41 AM)p-murphy Wrote: Removing virtual box 5.2.22 won't remove your virtual machines as they are stored independently in /home in the VirtualBox VMs folder. Once you install virtualbox 6.0 you will able to access your VMs.

On another note virtualbox 6.0 may not work because of your hosts kernel modules, so keep your expectations low.

Could you please elaborate on '6.0 may not work because of your hosts kernel modules' to a rookie. I have been trying to install VB6 for 2 weeks now on a system that never had VB installed. Tried all solutions I could find on the NET. No Luck, error out on NEW (which by the way is missing from the initial VB6 launch). I'm running LM19.1 Mate. I don't give a hoot on what version of VB I use at this point, just need it running. Any version suggestions?
(06-27-2019, 12:43 PM)Bill-M Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 06:41 AM)p-murphy Wrote: Removing virtual box 5.2.22 won't remove your virtual machines as they are stored independently in /home in the VirtualBox VMs folder. Once you install virtualbox 6.0 you will able to access your VMs.

Could you please elaborate on '6.0 may not work because of your hosts kernel modules' to a rookie. I have been trying to install VB6 for 2 weeks now on a system that never had VB installed. Tried all solutions I could find on the NET. No Luck, error out on NEW (which by the way is missing from the initial VB6 launch). I'm running LM19.1 Mate. I don't give a hoot on what version of VB I use at this point, just need it running. Any version suggestions?

Try installing virtual box from the software center this will be a older version (5.2).
If there isn't anything you need from virtualbox 6 just stick with this older version.

As for the error I was talking about, that is only an issue if you are changing between different versions of virtual-box.

Installing virtualbox 6 on Linux Mint should be as simple as using the .deb package provided by virtualbox.