Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your First Computer
Question 
Can anyone remember this computer?  ?

[Image: babbage-engine-main.jpg?w=860]

Spoiler Alert:

Charles Babbage (1791-1871), computer pioneer, designed the first automatic computing engines. He invented computers but failed to build them. The first complete Babbage Engine was completed in London in 2002, 153 years after it was designed. Difference Engine No. 2, built faithfully to the original drawings, consists of 8,000 parts, weighs five tons, and measures 11 feet long.
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Mac+
Specs:
No idea
(01-24-2019, 09:18 AM)Jondoe Wrote: Sure you had to ask !!!!!

Talk about a serious serious disappointment. Why ?  Because despite being extremely disappointed back when  I was little I managed to get really good at fixing
Windows machines, So I can only imaging where I would be computer wise if I had the right machine at the right time .

Now the rest of the story....

So I am in computer class at school.  We are learning Apple with the green screen.
My Teacher had another passion a Commodore 64.

A lot of the kids in the class had their own Commodore 64's
Well my Grandmother purchased a Commodore 64 Plus 4  for me .
I bring it to school and no one , not even the teacher knew how to use it .
I never got anywhere with it.  
I lost all interest in computers , until seen someone use one to go online to AOL.
this was many many years later of course.  I been hooked ever since.

My first computer was a Plus 4 that my ex and I got as a freebie for enduring a sales pitch for a timeshare condo. It ws too limited to be practical so it was quickly replaced with a Commodore C64c to which we added a 5.25" floppy drive and an Okidata thermal transfer color printer. After my divorce (aka, the beginning of life), I added two 3.5" floppy drives, using one like it was an HDD. I kept a single disc in it that had all my programs on it and wrote a modular (to get around the limited RAM) Basic menu program to handle all of the programs. The other one was where I plugged in my data discs. The 5.25" drive was used only for accessing new programs and magazine disks.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
Not sure the boxes at work (Army, win95 and NT, then 2k) from early-mid 90s but bought my first home computer circa 1998: Win98 on a Gateway 2000, Desktop (full tower) PIII 600MHz, 512MB RAM, 20GB HDD.

Can't recall details on monitor, printer and scanner also purchased at time, as well a number of their software and game bundles offered (games never really stuck as a habit or hobby for me). That roomy box stayed with me for years, upgrading everything except CPU, until I found a good used laptop (Sony VIAO around 2005 iirc). Haven't owned another desktop since until last year inheriting a decent 32bit lenovo that runs LM19.1 Mate and is house/network storage and media center.
First computer I used: TRS-80 Model I in the early 1980s. "Computer math" class at school. 3 4K machines, one 16K machine.

First computer I owned: Commodore VIC-20 with that wonderful 3.5K of memory - I eventually got a 16K RAM expander pack. It was a Christmas gift. I came thisclose to getting a TI-99/4A, but that changed after I played with one at a store and my parents realized I didn't like it (I wasn't angling for a gift and didn't know I was getting one, I just liked the VIC-20 better Big Grin).

From there, I went Commodore 64->Commodore 128

First PC compatible: A Packard Bell XT clone. Somewhere in there, I briefly had an Amiga 500, but I had to sell it to pay - and this will date me big time - an enormous phone bill. Two of my roommates called a mutual friend in San Diego like it was a local call. I rented the apartment, and paid the phone bill, and was a sucker and they had no money to pay it. This, of course, was long before the modern era of no-per-minute phone calls.

Software? The biggest one was Q-Link (C64/128 online service, and yes, it had its own software program) and later the related PC-Link and AOL ("for DOS", based on PC GEOS, later "WAOL" for Windows). Got off that train in approximately 1995.
[Image: 3063032287_8d47671636_o.jpg]

Can anyone guess what this is?  It is indeed part of a computer pre-1980ish.

Spoiler Alert:

Most people consider flash memory as the first non-volatile memory.  Well, the core memory was actually the computer random access memory, and it was indeed non-volatile memory.  You could stop the computer and power it off.  Come back the nett day and power it on again.  Start the program where you stopped it and let it pick where it left off.  
I actually worked on a few systems with core memory back in the day. 
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

My first one was a Ti99/4a, couldn't do much with it. I didn't get another until sometime in the mid-90's and it was a used one and I can't even remember the specs. My 3rd one was one I had built by a Computer Store and it had a(if I remember correctly, it's been 20+ years ago) Pentium III @350MHz, 512Mbt of RAM and a 20Gb hard drive. 15" CRT monitor and a built in modem. It ran Win98 and if I didn't do a reinstall about every 3 months it'd slow to a crawl. It crashed a lot and the main reason I got it was so I could play Myst. After 3 years I got sick of it and ended up getting an iMac(the half ball looking one, 15" screen) in 2001 and it had an 800MHz PPC, 768Mb of RAM and a 30Gb hard drive(at least I believe it was) and it worked well until 2012 when a near by lighting strike came through the DSL like(remember Dial Up, man it was slow) and killed it. I tried a Win8 laptop for a week but it got a virus so I took it back to the store(15 day, no questions ask return policy) and used the money to buy 2 used HP laptops and I installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on em' and I've not looked back. Been running a Linux Distro of one kind or another ever since.
RadioShack TRS-80 Color Computer 2.  Motorola 6809 CPU, 16K of RAM.  (Later got another with 64K).  Got (my first) TV set to use as a monitor although I wasn't supposed to use it as a TV (I sneak-watched TV anyway). Blush

Software: Came with BASIC built in, and booted it up to it instantly by default.  You could load other OSs too.  Lots of great games.  Seriously impressive MacPaint and MacWrite clones existed, amazing given the hardware limitations.

Likes: It was a computer, and it was mine.  Attractive, non-kiddie look to the hardware.  I was so astonished when I opened it at Christmas I turned white.  Keyboard had proper keys (no chiclet like the CoCo 1 or PCJr.)  Well supported by RadioShack at the time, stores were everywhere, lots of first and third party software and hardware for it (although most classic arcade games were clones rather than the real licensed brand name versions), plus magazines.

Dislikes: Keyboard was very loud, with an unusual echoing clang.  A quirk or bug in the system (all CoCo 1 and 2s had it) sometimes randomly changed red to blue and vice-versa when a program launched; you had to reset the program a few times to fix that.  Not nearly as famous, well supported, or popular as the Commodore 64, nor as cool as the Apple II which I desperately wanted.  Was never able to get the now-legendary Dungeons of Daggorath cartridge game to sucessfully save and load saved games to and from the tape drive.  Default black text on neon green screen, plus flashing psychedelic rainbow style cursor, is warmly remembered now but at the time seemed a bit odd.  The CoCo 3 had amazing graphical capabilities for the time and for its price but was not nearly as well supported by publishers or RadioShack, plus it rendered some of those older games with the red/blue issue as being in black-and-white (an irony given the name of the machine).  Still when it came out I wanted it bad but I didn't want to seem ungrateful for the CoCo 2s I got so I falsely claimed I didn't want it!  Self defeating Undecided
My first computer was a CP/M machine that my father and I built, can't remember the name in the late 70's.
LinuxMint 19.2 (Cinnamon)
Lenovo B570
Intel Pentium B950
circa 2009