Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your First Computer
(12-20-2018, 06:02 AM)deck_luck Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 11:25 PM)spudnuts Wrote: Mine was a z80 "portable" with amber monitor and cp/m os (I still have the huge stack of of cp/m user manuals in the shed).
Can't remember how much memory but do remember plugging in each separate chip.
1 5.25 inch internal floppy and 1 external 8 inch floppy.
And a 300 baud acoustical modem.
( gosh I'm so old )

Wink
 I wonder how many people know what an acoustical modem is.  Or for that matte,r a modem in general.

I usually explain it by saying remember older movies that had a computer they layed a phone handset on a box .... that is an acoustic modem.
My first computer was an Atari 800XL, it had 16k ram and loaded programs by using a cassette player/recorder. I envied those guys with floppies!!! Couldn't afford any modems so all my programs came on cassette or typed in by hand. It all ran on the built in Atari OS. Much like a console, it attached to a TV tuned to channel 3 or 4 to be used for a monitor.
My first computer was some sort of HP Computer running Windows XP. It died because of a basement flood.  I do not know any specs as it died when I was in Kindergarten! My next one was a HP Pavillion model something or another (I do not know) running Windows 7. Specs:
  • CPU: Some AMD Anthon chip
  • RAM: 5GB
  • GPU: Integrated Graphics
  • Hard Drive: 500GB Western Digital Blue
Just a teen who LOVES working with computers
(12-21-2018, 04:08 PM)Victarr Wrote: My first computer was an Atari 800XL, it had 16k ram and loaded programs by using a cassette player/recorder. I envied those guys with floppies!!! Couldn't afford any modems so all my programs came on cassette or typed in by hand. It all ran on the built in Atari OS. Much like a console, it attached to a TV tuned to channel 3 or 4 to be used for a monitor.

I am curious what did you use the computer for?  Did you have any favorite applications or develop programs?  It's ok to say you played game. :-). I played my share back in the day.
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

(12-20-2018, 04:28 PM)Mattsorens Wrote: My first computer was a Gateway machine with Windows 95 on it that the wife and I bought used from a friend in 1999. I don't remember what the specs were but it was a pretty low end machine that we used AOL to get on the internet with. Those were the good old days that if you had one phone line you got disconnected when you had an incoming call.

Do you remember all of the AOL free trial CDROM showing up in your mail box.   Geez Louise.
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

(12-19-2018, 01:30 AM)deck_luck Wrote: Tell us your story about your first computer.   

Please include topics like:

Hardware:  cpu, memory, storage devices, monitors, etc.
                   Software:  OS as well as your favorite applications or development tools.
                   Dislikes:   (fans sound like a jet engine, a good portable heater)

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99A. I have no idea what its CPU or memory was. It didn't have a hard drive. I had to use a cassette tape player to store programs which I had to manually type in machine code. After that I moved up to a Commodore 128 with 2 5 1/4 floppy drives.

My first PC was a no-name PC with an Intel 286, 512 MB of memory, a 20 MB hard drive, and a 12-inch color CRT monitor. It ran DOS 3.0 and Windows 3.1.
(12-26-2018, 09:37 PM)deck_luck Wrote:
(12-20-2018, 04:28 PM)Mattsorens Wrote: My first computer was a Gateway machine with Windows 95 on it that the wife and I bought used from a friend in 1999. I don't remember what the specs were but it was a pretty low end machine that we used AOL to get on the internet with. Those were the good old days that if you had one phone line you got disconnected when you had an incoming call.

Do you remember all of the AOL free trial CDROM showing up in your mail box.   Geez Louise.

All the time.
My first computer was a custom one my dad had built back in 1992... It had been updated to windows 3.1 when I finally got it... The hardware inside escapes me, but I do have fond memories of chessmaster and Mavis beacon... Just to name a couple.
My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20 that I got for Christmas (1984).

It had 5KB of RAM.
It played games from a 5.25 floppy, cartridge, or a tape player (depending on the game).
It didn't really have an OS in today's sense of the word, but would would load into a screen where you could start writing a program in BASIC or would load directly into a game if you had one in the floppy drive or had the game tape playing in cassette player. (the floppy drive and tape player didn't come with it and had to be bought separately).

Had to hook it up to an old TV for its display.

(12-26-2018, 10:51 PM)rickromig Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 01:30 AM)deck_luck Wrote: Tell us your story about your first computer.   

Please include topics like:

Hardware:  cpu, memory, storage devices, monitors, etc.
                   Software:  OS as well as your favorite applications or development tools.
                   Dislikes:   (fans sound like a jet engine, a good portable heater)

My first computer was a Texas Instruments TI-99A. I have no idea what its CPU or memory was. It didn't have a hard drive. I had to use a cassette tape player to store programs which I had to manually type in machine code. After that I moved up to a Commodore 128 with 2 5 1/4 floppy drives.

My first PC was a no-name PC with an Intel 286, 512 MB of memory, a 20 MB hard drive, and a 12-inch color CRT monitor. It ran DOS 3.0 and Windows 3.1.
deck_luck,
     Your post brought back a lot of memories. My childhood friend's dad had the Texas Instruments TI-99A. We would play TI invaders, Munch Man, and a centipede clone (cant remember its name anymore) for hours at a time.
An Apple II in 1983. People came from miles around to see it and play with it.

Richard