Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe's -- The Truth about Linux
Great video Joe , Handy to have on hand when i 'Convert' ppl. from Windows
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
His video was spot on.  Unfortunately, a lot of people take things out of context (shooting from the hip, just read the forum comments some times) instead of listening to what is being said.   Joe is doing a wonderful service by promoting and helping new desktop users to Linux.  And, he is very correct in stating if you do not want to put forth the effort to learn how to use Linux Mint or Ubuntu as a new user then you might need to stay where you are until you can take the time to become more proficient as Linux end user. They are two entirely different operating systems, and both have learning curves. You never learn algebra all at once, why would you expect to learn a new operating system at once. I would encourage anyone to give it some time and learn a little by little. Eventually, you will get better and starting enjoying the Linux adventure.  

Many years ago I switched from Windows to MAC OS X, and I quickly became frustrated.  Did you know Apple does not even have a book for new user like a user's guide.  Geez Louise.  Did I give up and feel sorry for myself?  No, I persevered and made an effort to learn something new.   Eventually, I found some good tutorials on youtube, and I quickly started enjoying MAC OS X.   Well actually, I still do.   Due to what is called the Apple Tax and hardware vendor lock, I will eventually be migrating to Linux when my Macbook finally stops working.   

Good things never come easy, and you have to put forth an effort to get there.
Idea  Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

My only problem was that telling people to buy a new machine will scare Windows users right the heck off. I have, over 11 years, installed Linux on a large variety of motherboards, CPUs, and laptops. EVERY installation has worked.

That's the whole point with drivers in the Linux kernel, and 1/3 of the kernel is device drivers.

In 2008, in my first summer with Ubuntu, I was using a coax cable for Internet. There was a lightning strike, and my motherboard was fried. I bought another motherboard, with a completely different chipset, and I had to reboot twice. Had it been Windows, Id have had to, at least, install the several drivers.

Hence the phrase, "Linux just works!"
What Joe (and others) is doing for the Linux community is far greater than most can imagine. The time and effort is just enormous and I hope that he will get the recognition he deserves. I have just join his YouTube and Ezeetalk forum and hope I have a tenth of his perseverance watching his videos as he did making them.
I personally have found that most people find it easier to go linux than to upgrade windows from 7 to 10, every new windows changes everything for the user even when the backend isn't much different.
Smile
-- Your Fearless Leader!

(08-30-2019, 07:07 PM)spudnuts Wrote: I personally have found that most people find it easier to go linux than to upgrade windows from 7 to 10, every new windows changes everything for the user even when the backend isn't much different.

Given the look and feel of Windows 10 is completely different to that of 7 and the user effectively has to relearn how do do everything anyway, especially if they were used to doing more than just clicking on an icon to open an application.

Even as a person with years of experience in finding where Microsoft has hidden things in subsequent versions, I find Windows 10 extremely frustrating.

And Microsoft has quite the history with this.  "Hey, you know how familiar you are with the menu system in Office?  Well forget it because we're going to "the ribbon" and we've hidden half the functions you're used to using."

It's frustrating to the end-users of the system and it's frustrating to the technical staff that have to support it and field all the frustrated calls from end-users.

I'm currently using Linux at home and both Windows 7 and Windows 10 at work (I move between two offices, one of which has recently been "upgraded") and, while I can use Windows 10, I can't stand it.  "Improvements" should make work easier, not harder.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
Quote:I'm currently using Linux at home and both Windows 7 and Windows 10 at work (I move between two offices, one of which has recently been "upgraded") and, while I can use Windows 10, I can't stand it.  "Improvements" should make work easier, not harder.

I agree with what you said. Windows always mucks it up and you are always dicking with it to make it work and getting nothing else done!

I am so glad I found Joe's videos and made the journey to Linux 2 years ago. I now get things done AND get to learn new and cool things about Linux all the time. It is a nice adventure even at the age of 65!

HaHaHa, I will be 80 and still learning Linux... Lol

LLAP
Taglines of the Day:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.  Huh 

Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk

To Boldly Go Where No BBS Has Gone Before. USS Stargazer BBS, Sheridan In.
(08-31-2019, 11:39 PM)Wolf Wrote: And Microsoft has quite the history with this.  "Hey, you know how familiar you are with the menu system in Office?  Well forget it because we're going to "the ribbon" and we've hidden half the functions you're used to using."

"Improvements" should make work easier, not harder.

I might be the only one around here, but I think the ribbon system is actually better though. I mean, in the old office, you'd have the shortcuts of icons for the functions that you use often, and an intricate menu system with all the other stuff.
With the ribbon, you can have almost all functionality as a graphical icon, only two clicks away, and some obscure functionality gone to some extra pane. I has been working in Word a lot (reports, SOPs, etc), and I find that the ribbon actually made the workflow much faster in many ways. Not in PowerPoint though where it's now impossible to get the upper index and lower index functions to be put on the ribbon, which is a real pain when typing chemical formulas :/

So yeah, A for the idea, B- for the implementation on that one from me Big Grin
I am working on an Arch installation in a VM that will be moved to an USB stick.
(09-01-2019, 03:10 AM)TarsolyGer Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 11:39 PM)Wolf Wrote: And Microsoft has quite the history with this.  "Hey, you know how familiar you are with the menu system in Office?  Well forget it because we're going to "the ribbon" and we've hidden half the functions you're used to using."

"Improvements" should make work easier, not harder.

I might be the only one around here, but I think the ribbon system is actually better though. I mean, in the old office, you'd have the shortcuts of icons for the functions that you use often, and an intricate menu system with all the other stuff.
With the ribbon, you can have almost all functionality as a graphical icon, only two clicks away, and some obscure functionality gone to some extra pane. I has been working in Word a lot (reports, SOPs, etc), and I find that the ribbon actually made the workflow much faster in many ways. Not in PowerPoint though where it's now impossible to get the upper index and lower index functions to be put on the ribbon, which is a real pain when typing chemical formulas :/

So yeah, A for the idea, B- for the implementation on that one from me Big Grin

I agree that improvements should make work easier, not harder. For me, when MS Orifice Office went to the ribbon, I found I liked it better once I got used to it (which didn't take too long, even as slow as I am). It was easily customized to fit my workflow.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!