Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Programs you like to use
(09-03-2018, 06:32 AM)alain Wrote: Which program one can use to securely erase the empty space of the hard disk. I am not looking to completely wipe a disk. But as you are using your system, which application can allow the removal of data in a way that they can't be read anymore. Under Windoze I was using Ccleaner. (I have been using Windoze since Win 3.1 - For the last 4 months, I run mint 19 for 99% of my need.)

you could try bleachbit...very similar to ccleaner
I like using G.U.I. programs since it's 2018 and they are usually intuitive. I hate C.L.I. programs because they are ancient antiquated counter intuitive Gibberish.
Switched from Windows to Linux on 9/2015. I use MX-17.1 Linux.
(09-09-2018, 06:23 PM)Mauser Wrote: I like using G.U.I. programs since it's 2018 and they are usually intuitive. I hate C.L.I. programs because they are ancient antiquated counter intuitive Gibberish.

I don't want to offend you, but that sounds very narrow minded to me.

If the user interface of a program is in the terminal or of graphical nature is completely irrelevant.
You can find examples for good and bad UI both in graphical applications as well as in text interface applications.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, so saying that one of them is just bad is stupid.
Joe actually made a video about how the terminal is not outdated, if I recall correctly...

And remember: On linux (and unix in general) graphical applications mostly just serve as frontend to command line applications.
So when you press a graphical button, it is mostlikely still a command line program that does the work.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
leon.p  I disagree. You must be one of those that can't read a calendar. The C.L.I, is the most non-user friendly interface, it's counter intuitive, antiquated, doesn't make any sense what so ever since it's written in Gibberish.
(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: You must be one of those that can't read a calendar.

Go to the terminal and type the 'cal' command.
Looks like a calender to me...

(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: The C.L.I, is the most non-user friendly interface

Wrong.

User friendlieness depends on a few different things you are either missing or ingnoring.
Most common things influencing user friendlieness include (but are not limited to):
  • UI design. Your fancy graphical application with all its shiny buttons will bring you no good if the designer has not done their job correctly.
  • Personal prereference. Some people like menus and buttons, some people like command line flags. None of them are wrong.

(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: it's counter intuitive

Basically any command line program will show a help summary if you use one of these flags: '-h', '--help', '-?'
That looks pretty intuitive to me...
Some even show example usage.

(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: antiquated

Wrong.

Most modern software written for linux uses the command line.

(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: doesn't make any sense what so ever since it's written in Gibberish.

Wrong.

Most of the programs are likely written in C, Python, Bash and some rare ones in NodeJS.  Tongue

Jokes aside: If you can't understand it, fine, don't use it; But you are not everyone.
So don't throw trash on something just because you don't understand it.

I personally think that a shell is a quite sane way of interacting with your software:
  • It uses a highly functional approach, which I like.
  • You directly control how programs work together via pipes.
  • You can automate your entire set up with scripts.
  • If something goes wrong, you will see detailled error messages.
  • And many reasons more...

(09-09-2018, 08:42 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: You must be one of those that can't read a calendar.

Go to the terminal and type the 'cal' command.
Looks like a calender to me...

You don't know how to read a calendar.
(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: The C.L.I, is the most non-user friendly interface

Wrong.

User friendlieness depends on a few different things you are either missing or ingnoring.
Most common things influencing user friendlieness include (but are not limited to):
  • UI design. Your fancy graphical application with all its shiny buttons will bring you no good if the designer has not done their job correctly.
  • Personal prereference. Some people like menus and buttons, some people like command line flags. None of them are wrong.
No! You are wrong and are lying!

(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: it's counter intuitive

Basically any command line program will show a help summary if you use one of these flags: '-h', '--help', '-?'
That looks pretty intuitive to me...
Some even show example usage.
Useless.

(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: antiquated

Wrong.

Most modern software written for linux uses the command line.

Modern Software is G.U.I. software.
(09-09-2018, 08:11 PM)Mauser Wrote: doesn't make any sense what so ever since it's written in Gibberish.

Wrong.

Most of the programs are likely written in C, Python, Bash and some rare ones in NodeJS.  Tongue

Jokes aside: If you can't understand it, fine, don't use it; But you are not everyone.
So don't throw trash on something just because you don't understand it.

I personally think that a shell is a quite sane way of interacting with your software:
  • It uses a highly functional approach, which I like.
  • You directly control how programs work together via pipes.
  • You can automate your entire set up with scripts.
  • If something goes wrong, you will see detailled error messages.
  • And many reasons more...

Wrong and proves you are lying.
(09-09-2018, 08:51 PM)Mauser Wrote: Wrong and proves you are lying.

What?

Are you even reading?
Or are you just upset because I don't agree with your opinion?

But please, go ahead and prove how I am wrong and lying by using actual arguments instead of your feelings.

Try actually discussing instead of shouting "YoU aRe WrOng aNd I aM coRRecT".

And you might want to reformat your comment.
Some of your replies are inside the 'quote' box, so people will mostlikely miss them when reading your comment.