Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 18.04 will get a 10-year support lifespan
Article here:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mark-shutt...-lifespan/

I think this is *Awesome!* - I had already planned to keep several of my machines & my clients' machines on the 18.04(.01) iteration of Ubuntu and disregard 18.10, but this news has sealed the deal. Plus IMHO this is fantastic not only for _all_ Ubuntu users, but especially for new/newer users to Linux as well, because I can install Ubuntu 18.04 on their machines and explain they won't have to (essentially) worry about anything aside from updates for 10 years!

No specific point to this post, other than to link some positive news and get thoughts from the EzeeLinux & EzeeTalk community.
Human Being
---
Linux
Is
For
Everyone
(11-16-2018, 01:23 PM)LIFE.LinuxIsForEveryone Wrote: Article here:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mark-shutt...-lifespan/

I think this is *Awesome!* - I had already planned to keep several of my machines & my clients' machines on the 18.04(.01) iteration of Ubuntu and disregard 18.10, but this news has sealed the deal. Plus IMHO this is fantastic not only for _all_ Ubuntu users, but especially for new/newer users to Linux as well, because I can install Ubuntu 18.04 on their machines and explain they won't have to (essentially) worry about anything aside from updates for 10 years!

No specific point to this post, other than to link some positive news and get thoughts from the EzeeLinux & EzeeTalk community.

Well that's great news indeed. I don't see a much of benefit of keep updating to 18.04, 18.10 and what follows with very short time support, other than its a good opportunity for the users to test the new versions and start facing bugs, getting them reported and so improvements can follow. Sort of beta versions if you will. I think that's how Linux is keeping it up all these years anyway.

But yeah, having a 5 year supported 18.04v is great, 10 years is just awesome. 
That decision is kind of interesting. Expanding the support to 10 years should have some future plans on a deeper level.

Do you think that Canonical will seek in near future to welcome shareholders and investors? 
Working and focusing harder on Ubuntu, eventually to make it really competitive to iOs and Windows?
Also that would be perfect choice for many business.

With all that Windows/Ubuntu "friendship" in the last few years, Its all about to wait and see whether we will actually stick for 10 years with Ubuntu or most users will switch to another distro, once the things got kaput.
Good news indeed. I'm not sure if this is going to be like ESM program or for everyone.
ESM = https://www.ubuntu.com/esm

❝..Be excellent to each other..

I'm reposting this, I found it on Ubuntuforums it will shed light onto the 10yr support topic, short video from keynote 14/11/2018
Quote: Here's a video of the announcement: https://youtu.be/V10cgn_avJE?t=418

Forgot to mention that the announcement is clearly related to the Cloud, servers and IoT but not the desktop.
Quote:Last edited by PaulW2U; 4 Days Ago at 03:40 PM.
I hadnt heard about the 10 year cycle.Good news.I went from 16.04 Ubuntu to 18.04 and found it to be an improvement.No complaints about the Gnome desktop.18.04 still runs great on older hardware.I always use a SSD for boot drive and run 4gb memory on the laptop and 8 on the tower.Both work fine for me.
It would be nice if they would do this on Mint. Then I'll likely be dead before EOL.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
Me,,,,, just sitting here waiting on the latest 19.04
(Ubuntu 19.04's release date is the 18th of April,)
to see if they fixed the bugs i reported,
Will this apply to the spins too? I'm running Kubuntu 18.04.2 LTS and lovin' it. It'd be nice if I didn't have to reinstall in 5 years. Of course who am I kidding, I tend to Distro Hop every few months anyway, LOL. Still, nice option for those who don't hop much.