Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux
In your original post you stated:

But what worries me is my beginner level on Linux in general. I am afraid of start learning Kali and If I am messing up with the system on a daily basis, my Ubuntu environment might become vulnerable too.

To isolated your Ubuntu installation on your hdd/ssd from another distribution you can accomplish this with virtualization assuming you are only using virtual storage.   

If you boot a live distro you are not isolating your Ubuntu daily installation or user data.  As a new user you need to be very careful.   Since you stated you were a beginner level I did not mention using physical isolation, and if you are not computer hardware savvy I would not suggest it.  Physical isolation would be removing the physical hdd/ssd(s) and replacing them with a different hdd/ssd(s).  In this manner you can run physical without risking your Ubuntu installation or user data.  

Sorry, I was negligent by not mentioning backup and bare metal restoration in my first reply.   
No matter which you choose always invest some time and study the different Linux backup tools.  Once you decide on the backup tool(s) to use I would encourage to study and test your backup/restoration strategy.  You should have fully tested and documented a real bare metal restoration of your computer.  At least three external drives for daily, weekly and monthly backups should be part of your backup rotation, and you should consider keeping at a minimum the monthly off site.  I know I am rambling, and I will shut-up now.
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)

Messages In This Thread
Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-15-2018, 09:02 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-15-2018, 10:58 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by spudnuts - 11-16-2018, 02:28 AM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by leon.p - 11-16-2018, 04:23 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-16-2018, 05:47 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-16-2018, 09:04 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-19-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-19-2018, 11:58 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by spudnuts - 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-24-2018, 02:38 AM