Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux
Please correct me if I get it wrong.
And please excuse my incompetence in the next few thoughts.

1. With Live USB, I use the whole of the system resources, except for the HDD read/write.
With a VM, I can't use all the resources, because part of them are being used to run the parent system. So that means If i get a good USB pen drive and use Kali Live, the performance would be better then if its on a VM (since the VB uses more then half of processor and ram already)

2. If I go for Live USB with persistence, then there will be some lack of security. There is no log in or security mechanism.
But since it is just a live version and is not installed, then there's absolutely no way my HDD and/or the Ubuntu system become vulnerable, but only what is stored on the USB drive. Which is alright, I wont share anything in that Kali Live environment, will be just exploring the tools and might be downloading some articles on it's drive.

3. One of the disadvantages of choosing the USB is that I wont have automatic or even not at all, updates for the Kali which is a bit of unsafe, isn't it?

4. Another disadvantage is that I will be facing more bugs and crashes with the USB Live, is that actually true?

5. And lastly something I am just thinking about is whatever option I chose, I will have to take precarious steps to tighten up my network, as If I get attacks while using Kali with USB and my router firewall get cracked, then when I am using the local Ubuntu, there might have some risks?
I've no idea how I got to that conclusion, please comment and criticize on that.  

Thank you for mentioning that Kali Linux is meant to be for mostly testing and better choice is having it on a USB, in terms of mobility.
Also I agree too, that using Kali as a main OS is a big no no, especially for beginners. No matter how many topics and bloggers out there are stating that Kali is super secure - It  just doesn't make sense to me. So it will be either VM or USB - thank you guys for clearing that for me.

And so, I guess I am going for having Kali Linux on a USB as for starting with it, and one day might use it on a virtual box.
Because is more safe and secure, right?

Messages In This Thread
Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-15-2018, 09:02 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-15-2018, 10:58 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by spudnuts - 11-16-2018, 02:28 AM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by leon.p - 11-16-2018, 04:23 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-16-2018, 05:47 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-16-2018, 09:04 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-19-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-19-2018, 11:58 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by spudnuts - 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM