Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux
(11-15-2018, 09:02 PM)brkroot Wrote: Hello everyone, I am glad to be here.

Is it a good idea to run Ubuntu 18.04LTS for a daily desktop type of using while having the chance to practice with Kali Linux in duo boot.

I guess, the short answer is yes, why not! 
But what worries me is my beginner level on Linux in general. I am afraid of start learning Kali and If I am messing up with the system on a daily basis, my Ubuntu environment might become vulnerable too. 

Can someone please advice, how can I install and run both in a safe and secure manner?
I would be also happy if I am just referred to a decent topic, as I had try to look around the internet and didn't get anything clear enough. 

Regards, 
Break Root

I am sure opinions will vary about how to do this, because one of the beauties of Linux is the flexibility.  For a new person to Linux I would suggest using the most easy and user friendly graphic user interface (gui) method.   First, I would install the Ubuntu 18.04 or your daily choice.  If you want to evaluate another Linux distribution (distro) you can use the VirtualBox application to setup a virtual machine.  The virtual machine using virtual storage will isolate the evaluation distro from your daily Linux installation.  The VirtualBox application is probably the most friendly virtualization solution for new users.  I am sure somebody trying to tell the world how much they know and suggest you use a container with systemd-nspawn.  They do not understand the context of the new user already being overwhelmed with the new experience, and the k.i.s.s. method is a much better solution.  For a new user it is best to stay with the gui applications.  As your experience level grows you will become curious and eventually start using the terminal.  Unless you are a casual user or using the Linux computer as a productivity tool to get a job done, you may never need anything other than a gui application.   

The Virtualbox web site has an extensive user manual, and you may want to get a copy to study.  Also, I would encourage you to check out Joe Collins' EzeeLinux youtube channel for an introduction and other VirtualBox videos.  

Reference:

VirtualBox 
https://www.virtualbox.org

Joe Collins' EzeeLinux youtube channel has a few videos on the subject.  Check out the following link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BadEditPro/...virtualbox
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)

Messages In This Thread
Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-15-2018, 09:02 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-15-2018, 10:58 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by spudnuts - 11-16-2018, 02:28 AM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-16-2018, 03:31 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by leon.p - 11-16-2018, 04:23 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-16-2018, 05:47 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-16-2018, 09:04 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-19-2018, 07:21 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by deck_luck - 11-19-2018, 11:58 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by spudnuts - 11-20-2018, 04:05 PM
RE: Duo Boot Ubuntu and Kali Linux - by brkroot - 11-24-2018, 02:38 AM