Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new user's teething problems
Hi,
I just started with Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 - yes, I know it is ancient - a long story) and came across the following problem. Another user (with a separate account) had installed a piece of software (from a reputed university site) but I am not able to run it because I do not have credentials to access the other account. The boring but simple way out would be to install it through my account and here comes the problem. I am not sure how to work out which of the two versions will be compatibel with my hardware/OS:

Linux (x86_64)
plink-1.07-x86_64.zip
v1.07
Linux (i686)
plink-1.07-i686.zip
v1.07

The machine I am using is Dell Latitude 6520 64-bit/Ubuntu14.04
Intuitively, I think it should be the top one.
If there is an easy way to get access to the software installed from the other account that would be preferable as the HD in this machine is emabrassingly small.
I do not have admin privilages so my options may be limited Undecided
Would be grateful for comments.
Hector
(08-17-2018, 10:06 AM)Hector Wrote: Hi,
I just started with Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 - yes, I know it is ancient - a long story) and came across the following problem. Another user (with a separate account) had installed a piece of software (from a reputed university site) but I am not able to run it because I do not have credentials to access the other account. The boring but simple way out would be to install it through my account and here comes the problem. I am not sure how to work out which of the two versions will be compatibel with my hardware/OS:

Linux (x86_64)
plink-1.07-x86_64.zip
v1.07
Linux (i686)
plink-1.07-i686.zip
v1.07

If there is an easy way to get access to the software installed from the other account that would be preferable as the HD in this machine is emabrassingly small.
Hector

You want the x86_64 zip file. The i686 is the 32-bit version.
(08-17-2018, 10:11 AM)TerryL Wrote:

Linux (x86_64)
plink-1.07-x86_64.zip
v1.07
Linux (i686)
plink-1.07-i686.zip
v1.07

Hector

Thanks Terry.
(08-17-2018, 12:35 PM)Hector Wrote:

Linux (x86_64)
plink-1.07-x86_64.zip
v1.07
Linux (i686)
plink-1.07-i686.zip
v1.07

Hector

Thanks Terry.

Hello Hector!
You need to ask the owner of the other account to make you a member of his group with read and executable permissions. Another possibility would be to ask the administrator of the system to create special privileges for you in the /etc/sudoers file so that you have access to certain programs.
Cheers
Hi,
Thanks a lot. Looks like going through the other account user will be the easiest option.
hector
Next time, when installing new software you can decide whether you want to install it in the user's home (default, only accessible to that user) or system-wide (for which you would need admin/sudo rights). This time going through the other account is likely easiest, indeed, to change permissions. If you have admin/sudo rights you can do it from your own account.

Linux (x86_64)
plink-1.07-x86_64.zip
v1.07
Linux (i686)
plink-1.07-i686.zip
v1.07

Hector

like all the above posts. it's

Linux (x86_64)
plink-1.07-x86_64.zip
v1.07

because your OS is 2 LTS versions behind it may not work. a lot has changed in 4 years.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
Thanks For your help.
It worked magnificently!
H.
Just an fyi   x86-64 or amd64 are always going to be 64bit versions and the 32 bit versions are going to be named i386, i486, i586, and i686 those are the only versions I have seen so far.