Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating Linux kernel on Raspberry Pi 3 running on Ubuntu 18.04
So I have Ubuntu 18.04 on a Raspberry Pi 3 right now, and after installing `linux-raspi2` metapackage, I got this error:

Code:
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/boot/dtb-4.15.0-1026-raspi2': Operation not permitted
run-parts /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
run-parts /etc/kernel/postinist.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.15.0-1026-raspi2 (--configure): installed linux-image-4.15.0-1026-raspi2 package post-installation script subprocess returned exit status 1

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Though use Plasma desktop on the daily basis, the Unity desktop will always have a place in my heart (and PC)

(10-31-2018, 03:03 AM)YamiYukiSenpai Wrote: So I have Ubuntu 18.04 on a Raspberry Pi 3 right now, and after installing `linux-raspi2` metapackage, I got this error:

Code:
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/boot/dtb-4.15.0-1026-raspi2': Operation not permitted
run-parts /etc/initramfs/post-update.d//flash-kernel exited with return code 1
run-parts /etc/kernel/postinist.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.15.0-1026-raspi2 (--configure): installed linux-image-4.15.0-1026-raspi2 package post-installation script subprocess returned exit status 1

Does anyone know how to fix this?

You probably used a command like "sudo apt install linux-raspi2".
The problem with this is, that 'sudo' does actually not give you full root permissions;
The policy kit still restricts your actions somewhat.
One of the packages installed via the 'linux-raspi2' metapackage has an postinstallation script
(meaning a script that runs automatically after the "installation" as in copying of the files)
that wants to do something policy kit does not allow.

To circumvent this, use "sudo su" to get a real root shell and then try to run "apt install linux-raspi2" (without sudo since you are on a root shell).
My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(10-31-2018, 03:09 AM)leon.p Wrote: To circumvent this, use "sudo su" to get a real root shell and then try to run "apt install linux-raspi2" (without sudo since you are on a root shell).
Tried it just now. Same error.
Though use Plasma desktop on the daily basis, the Unity desktop will always have a place in my heart (and PC)

(10-31-2018, 12:58 PM)YamiYukiSenpai Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 03:09 AM)leon.p Wrote: To circumvent this, use "sudo su" to get a real root shell and then try to run "apt install linux-raspi2" (without sudo since you are on a root shell).
Tried it just now.  Same error.

Ok, my next guess is that the permissions for the '/boot' directory don't allow the creation of a symlink.

You can check the permissions using the following command:
Code:
ls   -l  /  |  grep  boot

The output I get looks like this:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 15. Okt 16:48 boot

As you can see, the directory is owned by root and the root group.
The first  'rwx' tells me that the owner (root) has read, write, and execute permissions.

It is possible that you miss one of these which could cause the error you get.
My git repos

(10-31-2018, 03:51 PM)leon.p Wrote: Ok, my next guess is that the permissions for the '/boot' directory don't allow the creation of a symlink.

You can check the permissions using the following command:
Code:
ls   -l  /  |  grep  boot

The output I get looks like this:
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 15. Okt 16:48 boot

It is possible that you miss one of these which could cause the error you get.

I could double check later since I don't have my Pi 3 with me.  However, I'm pretty sure the permissions shouldn't have changed.

One thing I forgot to mention, I don't see the file `dtb-4.15.0*` anywhere in boot, but I do see `/boot/dtbs` directory.

(10-31-2018, 04:55 PM)YamiYukiSenpai Wrote: One thing I forgot to mention, I don't see the file `dtb-4.15.0*` anywhere in boot, but I do see `/boot/dtbs` directory.

You definetly should not see 'dtb-4.15.0*' anywhere in '/boot' since that would be the name of the symlink that was not creatable.
My git repos