Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing Ubuntu server
I had t his great idea of having a server for my house. As great of an idea that has been. I have decided just to turn my "server" into a regular computer with openssh access. This is going to be a computer that is mainly used by the kids to do homework and research on.

My question is, is there a way to just remove the server parts of the computer and leave openssh on it?
Probably.
It is definitely possible to use a normal desktop Linux distribution and also have openssh-server installed on it.

To be more specific:
What kind of OS is currently running on the server?
What kind of machine are you using? (Is it an actual enterprise-level server or rather a ordinary computer with a server OS?)
(10-11-2018, 11:44 PM)wheel Wrote: Probably.
It is definitely possible to use a normal desktop Linux distribution and also have openssh-server installed on it.

To be more specific:
What kind of machine are you using? (Is it an actual enterprise-level server or rather a ordinary computer with a server OS?)

I am running ubuntu LTS 18.04. I do know that I had apache on here but beyond that I do not remember.  It is just an old windows computer that I had laying around. Nothing special about it. I am slowly updating it to make it better and do more things on it.
(10-12-2018, 12:04 AM)Mdmartiny Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 11:44 PM)wheel Wrote: Probably.

To be more specific:

I am running ubuntu LTS 18.04. I do know that I had apache on here but beyond that I do not remember.  It is just an old windows computer that I had laying around. Nothing special about it. I am slowly updating it to make it better and do more things on it.

Since you only want a regular desktop setup with sshd running, you could just reinstall Ubuntu or what ever you like and then install and activate sshd.

If you want to keep your current installation and want to remove the server stuff (which is technically not necessary),
take a look at all running services to see what server software is running on that device.

Code:
systemctl list-units

It is a rather long list, so you have to take yourself some time to sift through it.
Did you install Ubuntu Server 18.04 or did you just install Ubuntu 18.04? Cause they ARE separate things.

Ubuntu Server DOESN'T natively as far as I know have a desktop environment. It just gives you a terminal prompt.

Where as Ubuntu 18.04 is a desktop operating system with a desktop environment. So if you have plain old Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, you never had server software. Even though you can install it to Ubuntu propper very easily.

This clarification from you could help.
My suggestion is to move any files you want to keep off of it then reload it fresh, it will most likely save you trouble in the long run.
I agree with Spudnuts, I would save what files that you want to keep and do a fresh install of your Disto of choice. Ubuntu Server and Desktop are alot alike, but have alot of differences too. Server has no GUI and you use the command line to do most of your work with it or you can install Webmin on the server and use your browser to administer it. Desktop Version does have the GUI to use it.
If you don't want the server parts that you installed in to ubuntu LTS 18.04 (if that is what you have) just go to a terminal and issue "sudo apt autoremove apache"...
In the long run it would be better to save, delete and reinstall to save all the headaches. Then you can install SSH on the system after the fresh install. I have several systems on my home network and I use SSH a bunch and I have "AnyDesk" installed as a GUI interface to control a computer remotely with a GUI which is neat... Good Luck!
LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...