Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking to change from windows to linux
(05-21-2020, 06:54 PM)nirvanausual Wrote: If you're morally opposed to Windows for whatever reason or you just like the challenge of an open-source OS, you can have a good experience with Linux. But if you just want to work or play, Windows is still a lot easier to use, has much more attractive UI and offers a much broader range of software.

As a long-time Windows user and 3 year Linux user I disagree with two of your statements.

1) "Windows is still a lot easier to use." I find Ubuntu and it's various flavors just as easy to use as any version of Windows. Admittedly there are some Linux distributions that require a new user to learn a heck of a lot in a hurry just so they can get the system set up properly, but several Linux versions install automatically and have a UI that can be mastered in one day for 90% of the things most people do. In terms of an OS being hard to use, the switch from Windows 7 to Windows 8 felt like trying to deal with something that came from another planet. I've never had half that much trouble learning my way around a Linux UI.

2) "[Windows] has a much more attractive UI." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some like fancy. Some like stark. Imho Linux UIs are just as attractive as Windows UIs and in some cases Linux is more attractive.

3) "[Windows] offers a much broader range of software." I'll agree with you on this one. Windows does offer more software in certain areas, such as video games and specialized software used by specific industries. But Linux offers a broad enough range of software to meet the needs of most computer users: Internet browsers, email programs, word processing, spreadsheets, photo editing and cataloging.... So unless a person actually needs that broader range of Windows software, it being available isn't really an advantage.
If you're morally opposed to Windows for whatever reason or you just like the challenge of an open-source OS, you can have a good experience with Linux. But if you just want to work or play, Windows is still a lot easier to use, has much more attractive UI and offers a much broader range of software. avast driver jiofi.local.html
(01-28-2021, 06:53 AM)flisterseven Wrote: If you're morally opposed to Windows for whatever reason or you just like the challenge of an open-source OS, you can have a good experience with Linux. But if you just want to work or play, Windows is still a lot easier to use, has much more attractive UI and offers a much broader range of software.

I disagree. Once you get over the learning curve of a new OS (which can be a stinker), some distros of Linux (such as Mint) are actually easier to use than Win 10. Mint's GUI is no less attractive than Win 10's (I feel it looks better) but can be customized to look pretty much however you want it to. So far, with one exception, I've been able to find the equivalent or better software than what I used in Windows, all but one being free.

It's only when a workplace demands that you use a specific Windows or Mac OS software that using Linux may have problems.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
I find Windows 10 to be unnecessarily complicated. I used Windows 3.1 --NT 4 --Windows 2000 -- XP -- and 8.1. I loved Windows 2000. After that began the bloat. XP was 3X the size of 2000. And with Windows 10 you have now lost control of your operating system. I don't trust Microsoft. With Linux, the code is open. The technical users are looking at it all the time. With Microsoft, I don't know what they are up to.

I use have used Ubuntu as my daily driver for three years now. It is much simpler to operate, to repair, to load or remove software (without that cursed registry), than Windows. I am in control of my computer.

Richard
(01-29-2021, 12:27 AM)Richard Wrote: I find Windows 10 to be unnecessarily complicated.

In my opinion, the "desktop metaphor" on which windows user interface is based has outstayed its welcome. It is no longer suited for modern tasks and software and, if we are being honest, was never all that great.

On Linux we enjoy the luxury of having multiple desktops to choose from. And the big ones have a fair amount of needed innovation.
I was looking for a solution how to change and today I find a solution from comments. Thank you!
regards
technologywell