• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compressed HDD image seems to be messed up
Sounds good.

You have two commands with ZFS

zpool = Working with pools, which are like setting up RAID
zfs = Working with filesystem on the pools
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Unless I totally over looked it, I do not see any information on how you created the one single image file of the old HDD with multiple NTFS-Partitions.    How did you do that and please be specific?  
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)
(10-11-2018, 07:47 PM)deck_luck Wrote: Unless I totally over looked it, I do not see any information on how you created the one single image file of the old HDD with multiple NTFS-Partitions.    How did you do that and please be specific?  

Let's assume the hdd was recognized as /dev/sda and had the partitions /dev/sda1. /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3. 
I would then use
Code:
ddrescue -v /dev/sda image.img logfile
as superuser.

The generated image.img would contain all data from the whole hd including the three partitions.
Afterwards, I would use 7zip to compress the image.img.

Side note: This way of creating images has worked several times for me. The downside of using ddrescue is indeed that it might write read errors 1:1 to the output file. This can possibly cause trouble later, but is sometimes helpful when the hd is already obsolete and data recovery would be needed anyways. 
(In case of this thread the hd was healthy as far as I remember and nowadays I see that it probably would have been better to use dd instead of ddrescue.)
Did you run the ddrescue via a script or periodically via a cronjob?   
Did your script make sure the filesystems were not in use or unmounted before attempting to make an image?  
How did you monitor the image creation for successful completion?  (200MB compressed should have been a red flag)
How did you maintain your "backup" image rotations?
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)
(10-04-2018, 03:26 PM)wheel Wrote: Thank you for your replies. I think I already learned something.

Quote:I am not too experienced in the various imaging software, but one method that never fails me is dd piped through gzip.

Even though I never thought of that, it indeed seems to be very easy to do that by using something like:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda1 | gzip > ~/image-compress_sda1.img.gz
I'll definitely will give this a shot next time I create an HDD image. (But this time I'll decompress and test it before carrying on.)

Quote:Maybe the compression and later decompression somehow corrupted the disk image,

you said you used high compression, which makes it more likely to damage the data.
Yes, that probably has been the reason. I wasn't aware that compressing could actually cause a serious damage. Does this happen frequently? (might sound like a stupid question, but I'm serious  Blush )

Quote:I recommend you also store a hash value of your disk-images in the future,
so you know if the compression and later decompression corrupted any data
as well as not using high compression.

How would I do this in practice? Is it okay to use
Code:
sha256sum image.img > image.sha256
before compressing and then compare the file to the sha256-value of the later decompressed file? Is it possible to get a hash value of a file without decompressing it? Is sha256 the right thing to use here?

Quote:And I also believe ddrescue is not the right tool for your purpose:
It is designed to get data of failing drives, not to make backup images of your drives; Use regular 'dd' instead.
It is entirely possible that the disk-image was already unusable before compression:
ddrescue ignores read errors (it is a rescue tool after all) while regular dd either aborts or tries to read the sector again.
Thanks for letting me know  Rolleyes. In the future, I will only use ddrescue if dd fails.

So, I don't know how to generate a checksum since I never needed one before, I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Regarding dd | gzip, you must add -c after gzip, just like in the wiki, and be sure to run the command from a root shell (tried to do it via sudo by typing sudo at the beginning of the entire line and before each command, but it would still spit out permission errors, so I just used the root shell since I already use it quite often anyway) which you can enter either by logging in as root if you have the root account password set (sudo passwd, follow on-screen prompts and voila, just type su, type in the root password and you're golden), or by typing sudo su (that is good enough if you don't intend on using software that needs the root password in particular, for example VMware Workstation). That should be enough until you find something else that works if you want something else.

Hope this helps and have a nice day!
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 3793 (17", i5)
(10-12-2018, 12:59 AM)deck_luck Wrote: Did you run the ddrescue via a script or periodically via a cronjob?   
I've run ddrescue with a single command in the bash, there was no script or cronjob.

Quote:Did your script make sure the filesystems were not in use or unmounted before attempting to make an image?  
Yes! (pretty sure ddrescue would complain, though)

Quote:How did you monitor the image creation for successful completion?  (200MB compressed should have been a red flag)
When creating an image, ddrescue will print its status directly in the terminal. It will also display "Image creation successfull" alongside showing how much of the data was being recovered. Added to that, ddrescue created a logfile confirming all of that information. The created image was probably approximately the size of the hdd. At least the image-file in the later compressed archive has this size. Therefore, I'm pretty confident the image creation worked as good as ddrescue would allow it to work.
After some consideration, the way I created the 7z archive is rather what I nowadays blame myself for. If I remember correctly, I used the GUI to do this. The fact that the .7z-file haven't had the *.tmp-extension behind it was seemingly enough for me. I'm currently evaluating how to improve my "compressing skills" as mentioned by elsandosgrande (using the pipe from dd to gzip).
It is not unusual that a compressed hdd image has a high compression ratio. The unused disk space of an hdd image is usually compressed to almost zero in the archive. BUT 200 MB for a 20 GB hdd with about 75% of it being used disk space should have been a red flag, that is indeed true.

Quote:How did you maintain your "backup" image rotations?
Why do you use quotes? 
There is no backup rotation right here. This hdd wasn't in use since 2003. The data on the hdd is not supposed to change anymore. The goal is to keep an image of the data in case I will ever need it and then shred and throw the old hdd away.
Off-Topic: As far as rotations go, I would usually use rsync/grsync/SyncToy (Windows) for regularly backing up my personal data to the NAS. The RAID 1-Partition of the NAS is backed up to an additional hdd on a regular basis, as mentioned. But this has nothing to do with this thread or my image creation of old hdd's.

Quote:So, I don't know how to generate a checksum since I never needed one before, I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Regarding dd | gzip, you must add -c after gzip, just like in the wiki, and be sure to run the command from a root shell (tried to do it via sudo by typing sudo at the beginning of the entire line and before each command, but it would still spit out permission errors, so I just used the root shell since I already use it quite often anyway) which you can enter either by logging in as root if you have the root account password set (sudo passwd, follow on-screen prompts and voila, just type su, type in the root password and you're golden), or by typing sudo su (that is good enough if you don't intend on using software that needs the root password in particular, for example VMware Workstation). That should be enough until you find something else that works if you want something else.

Hope this helps and have a nice day!
Don't worry about the checksums. cleverwise already told me all I needed to know in this thread. I already did my homework and generated sha256-sums for all my archive files in the NAS with a small script.
Generating the .img.gz-file with the dd | gzip-pipe worked for me. 
After your post I started trying around a little bit. The result was the same no matter if I was using the -c option or not. Afaik, gzip will write to the standard output by default when used like mentioned above.
The wiki also suggests using the command exactly like this:
Code:
dd if=/dev/sda1 | gzip > ~/image-compress_sda1.img.gz

What also worked for me is using this command with sudo. Using a root shell wasn't necessary for me.

Here's the deal: What I've read comes from the ubuntuusers-wiki and I'm also using debain-based OSes only. Seeing that you are sitting in front of an Arch-based distribution, I guess that this is what makes the image generation and compression a little different for both of us.

Thank you again for your participation and your help in this thread.
And also thanks to everyone else so far.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but instead I am trying to get an understanding.   

You indicated this method has never caused you any trouble.   Have you ever performed a full or partial test restore?  
(10-16-2018, 02:40 AM)deck_luck Wrote: I am not trying to be argumentative, but instead I am trying to get an understanding.   

You indicated this method has never caused you any trouble.   Have you ever performed a full or partial test restore?  

Thank you for being helpful and sorry about anything that might have caused any type of misunderstanding.  Smile

Yes, I actually needed to restore several times as well as doing a full restore after I used this method the first time.