Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble installing Linux Mint 19 [SOLVED]
this is one of those situation, where you will just have to mess around, with multiple trials,
and even some extra re-installations, you could, at least initially, attempt to fix the in-place installation, first.

you will need to put your Google-Fu hat on, first, though . .

just last year, I'd obtained an new Desktop Box, and had issues in getting the Audio to work,
and that resolution take a few days, of false Trails, before the final Fix:
- yep - I've written down, the Final Solution. .
I wish I could help you because if you have installed Mate 18.3...then installing 19 should be the same.  It's normal after removing the Flash Drive and hitting Enter to get a black screen...then it Boots to the login screen after 20 or more seconds.

I do know that when installing an OS...you must only have the HDD that you're installing the OS to connected to the Motherboard...otherwise it wont happen.

I should mention that I've installed Cinnamon 19 on both my Laptop and Desktop recently with no problems and my Laptop is 6 yrs old.  Maybe download a fresh copy might help...I have a nvidia Graphics Card and Mint 19 has an updated driver which works with the latest Kernel...hope this helps.
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
PROBLEM SOLVED! I have three internal drives. There were a couple suggestions to use the minimum hardware and to make sure the computer is trying to boot from the correct drive. I recall when I first installed 18.2, I removed the second and third drives to avoid inadvertently installing over my data. Now, I know a bit more about how Linux mounts and labels drives, and I felt confident enough to leave the second and third drives in place while installing 19. But, evidently, even though I could install Mint on the correct drive, the computer could not find it with the other two drives installed. So, long story short, I removed all but the one drive intended for the OS and the computer now boots fine. I subsequently reinstalled the second and third drives and all is well.
To quote Col. John "Hannibal" Smith, "Don't you love it when a play comes together."
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️

(08-26-2018, 05:36 PM)OnEvenKeel Wrote: PROBLEM SOLVED!  I have three internal drives.  There were a couple suggestions to use the minimum hardware and to make sure the computer is trying to boot from the correct drive.  I recall when I first installed 18.2, I removed the second and third drives to avoid inadvertently installing over my data.  

Great to hear you fixed it.  Smile  Years ago when running Windoze XP I got a virus...tried to Re-Install the OS but couldn't...discovered by accident if I disconnect my other HDD (storage) I can Install the OS.

These days I don't have internal storage HDDs on my Desktop...I do have three internal HDDs...one has Cinnamon 18.3...another has Windoze 7 (which I don't use) and last but not least Cinnamon 19...of cause only one is connected.

At the moment I'm testing Cinnamon 19 on my spare HDD...I install software...web browsers etc and my Graghics Card...something you do in a VM.  Then if I like it I'll create a System Image and Re-Image my main HDD.  Smile
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
(08-26-2018, 05:36 PM)OnEvenKeel Wrote: PROBLEM SOLVED!  I have three internal drives.  There were a couple suggestions to use the minimum hardware and to make sure the computer is trying to boot from the correct drive.  I recall when I first installed 18.2, I removed the second and third drives to avoid inadvertently installing over my data.  Now, I know a bit more about how Linux mounts and labels drives, and I felt confident enough to leave the second and third drives in place while installing 19.  But, evidently, even though I could install Mint on the correct drive, the computer could not find it with the other two drives installed.  So, long story short, I removed all but the one drive intended for the OS and the computer now boots fine.  I subsequently reinstalled the second and third drives and all is well.

From the symptoms you described I had a feeling your computer was somehow missing the drive you intended for it to boot from. Glad you are up and running now!
it is generally suggested, that you do disconnect any other HDDs in your machine,
& mainly to avoid overwriting any valuable data, but also to simplify the actual installation.

and with the LM19 series, it is now also recommended to stay-off-line during the actual installation.