Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble installing Linux Mint 19 [SOLVED]
(08-19-2018, 02:29 PM)Pierre Wrote: sometimes it does pay to stick with the older versions of Linux Systems,
and not to upgrade, in any hurry - - particularly if you are happy with that old version:
- - upgrade for a reason, that is - - unlike the Windows System, it's not a real necessity.

but, now that you have installed LM19, then you can also make any changes
to that installed system, by editing the appropriate file(s) in the Live Environment.

note that the direct editing of the grub.cfg on the hdd is not really recommended,,
as you really should edit the files in /etc/grub.d/ and then run the update-grub command.

Okay - here's an update:

I reinstalled Linux Mint 19 xfce from a live usb containing a verified ISO.

1. The live USB boots fine.  I get the HP splash screen, then a low res Linux Mint boot splash (with an 8 second countdown - "Auto boot in 8 sec...").  There are a couple ACPI error warnings displayed
2. The screen switches to high resolution.  The ACPI warnings are now shown in high resolution.
3. Computer is up and running Linux Mint 19 xfce from a live USB.
4. I double click the "Install" icon.
5. I select "English", "English Keyboard", and I toggle on "Install 3rd party software"
6. I choose "Erase Disk and Install...";  The default is to "Install Linux alongside Linux Mint 19 Tara" (I had already installed Mint and it appears the previous installations were successful)
7. I select the correct hdd and follow the remaining instructions to enter name, username, computer name, etc.
8. Installation appears to complete and I get the "Restart Now" or "Continue Testing" choice.  I choose "Restart Now"
9. Computer shutsdown to black screen with blinking cursor in upper lefthand corner.  Pressing "ESC" yields the "remove installation media and press Enter" message.  I remove the USB drive and press enter.
10. Computer begins reboot.  HP Splash screen then low-res black screen with flashing cursor in upper lefthand corner.  "ESC" has no effect.  
11. Force hard shutdown and reboot.  Holding SHIFT during boot does permits HP Splash but goes straight to black screen with flashing cursor.

I've tried this with xfce, mate, and cinnamon.  I tried with my previous 18.3 live USB and with an older Bohdi USB.  All result in the same behavior.

Clearly the Live USB is able to boot.  But, the installation to the hdd does not.
Yikes - - this issue was supposed to be fixed Eons ago & it's returned ?.
ie: the system boots fine in the Live Environment, but doesn't copy that to the actual installation.
& it's often an Video issue OR a WiFi issue. ..

what I've often done, on an re-installation is to use Gparted to erase any existing partitions,
and the create some new partitions, according to what my intended partition layout is supposed to be.
- the used the 'something else' option in the installer menu, then selected each partition in turn,
marking each one, as how I've wanting it ( / root,, /home,, /swap ) then click on next to continue with install.
Sometimes if I leave a NON bootable USB stick in the port and boot the PC I have had a similar situation. PC still set to boot from USB bot there is no operating system on a USB stick that can cause black screen with a cursor.
Be sure the USB stick is removed from the computer and that your computer is set to boot from the hard drive.
Just a thought, good luck!
"And now, you know the rest of the story. ____ ____ Good Day!"
(08-21-2018, 04:30 AM)lawnjarts Wrote: Sometimes if I leave a NON bootable USB stick in the port and boot the PC I have had a similar situation. PC still set to boot from USB bot there is no operating system on a USB stick that can cause black screen with a cursor.
Be sure the USB stick is removed from the computer and that your computer is set to boot from the hard drive.
Just a thought, good luck!

I had this thought as well and disconnected all other USB devices - even my mouse/keyboard.  No luck!  Thanks, anyway.

(08-21-2018, 02:40 AM)Pierre Wrote: Yikes - - this issue was supposed to be fixed Eons ago & it's returned ?.
ie: the system boots fine in the Live Environment, but doesn't copy that to the actual installation.
& it's often an Video issue OR a WiFi issue.  ..

what I've often done, on an re-installation is to use Gparted to erase any existing partitions,
and the create some new partitions, according to what my intended partition layout is supposed to be.
- the used the 'something else' option in the installer menu, then selected each partition in turn,
marking each one, as how I've wanting it ( / root,, /home,, /swap ) then click on next to continue with install.

I suspected maybe a video card (nvidia) issue since the symptoms are consistent with the live USB problem.  No wifi connection on this computer, so we can rule this out.  Thanks.
Another thought, be sure that the right drive is set to boot.
If you have more than one hard drive you want to be sure it is booting from the correct one.
The symptom definitely resembles the need for the "nomodeset" kernel boot parameter.  I ran in to this same scenario when attempting to evaluate/install Fedora 25 or 26 without first going in to the live try me mode first.  

Did you select install third party driver during your installation?  Of course, you have to have internet access during the installation.

What kind of graphics do you have?  Does your motherboard support a discrete and integrated graphics?    If so you may want to reconfigure with just the integrated graphics and disable or remove the discrete just for testing.   Hardware minimum configuration is a good method of troubleshooting.

It is possible the boot strap or partition table has some obscure corruption.  You can try wiping the front of the hdd and use a simple dd read test as well  After booting up the live open a terminal window.   Assuming you only have one hdd (lsblk -l) you can run: 

Code:
sudo dd oflag=direct if=/dev/sda  of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024    
# can we read the front of the hdd?

sudo dd oflag=direct if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1024    
# overwrite the front of the hdd

sync
# make sure cache has flushed

sudo partprobe -s  
# update in kernel partition tables

After wiping the front of the hdd proceed with your install by clicking the Install Ubuntu XXX icon on the desktop.  I actually had this resolved a problem for me, but  I cannot remember exact scenario. 

This one is very interesting and, I hope update us with the results.
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️

hey ,
      i was and now back to using 18.3 with the 4.15 kernel so i decided to clean install 19 as i store everything i keep off the machine...thinking everything will be good but on the reboot got the flashing cursor also...so the lazy way around this for me is just use yann ubuntu boot repair. Just boot a live usb and web search for it and 3 lines in the terminal done and done.....
Having said that 19 seems to be glitchy and buggy ( i should just wait for the point release but im jumping the gun again ) so i am now back to 18.3 with the 4.15 kernel series and all is good...
It may or may not help but I find I have less problems with reboots on new installs or in VMs by simply going with the test more option and then doing a shutdown instead of using the reboot option.
(08-22-2018, 09:47 PM)spudnuts Wrote: It may or may not help but I find I have less problems with reboots on new installs or in VMs by simply going with the test more option and then doing a shutdown instead of using the reboot option.

Lots of great ideas, here, guys!  Thank you.  I just need to carve out a bit of time to try them out.  I think I will start with spudnuts suggestion to try "test more options" before rebooting (so simple).  I'd also like to try a reinstall after disconnecting my second and third internal drives to go to the minimum hardware configuration suggestion from the above post.  I'll report back in a few days.
Saluton!
I had this precise problem, though when installing Void Linux, rather than Linux Mint.
While I still don't know what actually causes the problem, one quick fix that worked for me is to install an older version of Linux Mint (which will hopefully not have the same issue), before performing a full-system upgrade, to effectively get to version 19, albeit in a roundabout way.

Let us know how you get on!
Lernu, uzu, amu Linukson!